On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 10:49:40AM +1000, jco...@iinet.net.au wrote:
> First actual air show I went to was at Biggin Hill: the sight of Spitfires
> coming up out of the valley in a low pass was
> something else!

Biggin Hill was about 10 miles from where I grew up; we were almost due east of
the airfield (over mostly open country), so whenever Biggin Hill had an airshow
there was a good chance we'd see interesting aircraft flying overhead.

A friend of mine flew out of Biggin Hill occasionally.  He took me up a couple
of times.  The first time he (probably quite illegally) buzzed our house at a
fairly low level.  The second time we popped across the channel to Le Touquet
for lunch. That was an interesting flight; on the way back the fuel gauge
suddenly dropped to zero halfway across the channel. Not only that - the radio
cut out, too, which made it rather tricky to talk to the control tower at Lydd.
 Fortunately the problem was a part of the wiring harness coming loose; it took
a technician at Lydd only a few minutes to find and fix the problem.  Or course
without a radio it was a little awkward getting permission to land ...
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List