That seems a bit strange.  I've been processing some photos today and the only
times it's added anything to the filename is if I've reopened a raw file
through Bridge that I've already processed and saved previously.  For the
record, my workflow is to use Bridge to organise / select my raw files then
edit in Adobe Camera Raw, finally opening in Photoshop to convert the profile
and save.  I found Photoshop produced better jpg files than ACR for some reason.

I think this is a recently-added feature as today is the first time I've
noticed this behaviour.  I only discovered it when it didn't ask me to replace
the existing file when I saved the newer version - instead it saved a filename
with "-2" appended.

I've just tried opening a couple of jpg and psd files and this behaviour didn't
occur.  FWIW I'm using an iMac.

Sorry for not being helpful :)

Cheers,
Dave