Ann -  My message body is black text w/white background.  If you go to "Preferences"/"General"/"Language and Appearance" there is a box to click which takes you to color preferences.  There you can designate to use your system colors or to choose what colors you want for the text and background in the message pane.  The  odd thing is it doesn't seem to carry over into the window that opens to compose a message.  When I compose a message in T-Bird everything is white text on a black (dark grey) background

-p