> On Jan 8, 2023, at 12:05 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <godfreydigio...@me.com> wrote:

>>> It's obvious to me, Larry, that you are not a macOS user … you buy the
>>> machines purely because Apple has a BSD Unix interface embedded into macOS.
>>> Otherwise your "twenty years of using Macs" would demonstrate a lot more
>>> familiarity with actual macOS features and workflow methodologies.
>>
>> This is exactly the attitude I was mentioning, if someone wants to do
>> something other than the Cupertino way, they are apostate.
>
> Oh, so the AT&T Bell Labs/BSD interface paradigm is the One True Way, rather
> than the operating system that was designed for the Apple computers.

Nope.  I never said that there is a one true way.  I'm not the one who said
that somebody is using their computer wrong.

>>> macOS is *not* about the command-line processing in the Terminal app, or
>>> bash, or emacs, or any of that stuff. Those are the underpinnings of macOS,
>>> not the user interface of macOS.
>>
>> This is where the "what is an Operating System?" debate gets interesting.
>
> It's not a debate: A command-line interface is not an operating system. It is
> a text-based presentation and command layer, in this case derivative of the
> BSD Unix system presentation layer that is incorporated in the sub-layers of
> macOS. It happens to be there for historical reasons but it is not the macOS
> user interface, and is certainly not the macOS operating system layer.

Cherish what follows:

You're right Godfrey.

The OS is not the user interface,  the OS is the low level software that
interacts with the hardware and acts as the interface between "user programs"
and the hardware.  Some operating systems give you your choice of multiple user
interfaces.  At the console you can use sh, ksh, bash, csh, even zsh.  I'm
still not sure what the benefits of zsh are supposed to be. They also let you
pick between multiple graphic user interfaces.

>> Odd that you mention work.  I needed to do this for work.  I was actually
>> trying to use my mac for work rather than play.
>
> I've used Apple computers for my work since 1984. At NASA/JPL, Molecular
> Design, Apple, Sun Microsystems, as a contractor, and again at Apple until I
> retired. Now I use them to do my photographic work, which continue to net a
> small supplementary income. So I have always used Apple computers and
> operating systems for my work.
>
> I've written drivers for NASA radar imaging systems flying on the
> shuttlecraft and other spacecraft, device control apps for the Deep Space
> Net, Orbital Debris Detection apps for detecting stuff that can hit space
> stations and orbiting spacecraft, chemical research database apps and remote
> interfaces, and participated in the development of eight operating systems
> using Apple systems on macOS, along with myriad other smaller ventures. Not
> to mention written three books and produced 22 exhibition suites as well for
> my photographic and writing endeavors.
>
> If you consider this play, well, that's your misapprehension.

Perhaps I was a bit hyperbolic.  For the things that I've done professionally,
other operating systems have done a better job of staying out of my way.
Obviously if I was coding iOS apps, then MacOS would be superior.

>> Saying that I'm not a MacOS user because I use different features more than
>> some people is like saying that I'm not a Miata driver because I upgraded
>> the brakes, modified the seat and added a rollbar before driving it on a
>> track.
>
> If you tout yourself as a macOS user with twenty years experience using macOS,

I wouldn't say that I tout myself.  I would say that I have used them for
twenty years.

> I would expect that you understand what an AppleID and the iCloud Drive file
> system is,

If I had any use for them I would, but in my experience most of what they have
done has made my life more complicated.  Yes, iCloud does help my "mail client
that was written by Apple", since you don't like the moniker macmail, sync
between various machines.

> and how to configure them, and could easily answer Rick's queries with
> sensible information about how to configure the system for his liking.

What was the answer you gave him?  You're the one that has been using Apple
software for twice as long as I.

> These parts of the macOS/iOS/iPadOS ecology have been around for 12 years and
> have been a sizable part of what nearly all but a *tiny* percentage of people
> who say they are macOS users find valuable and useful about this operating
> system. Otherwise, the product planners and engineering staff at Apple would
> not put so much development time, effort, and money into providing and making
> them work seamlessly.

Apple has almost always been very good at what their focus is.  At first it was
making affordable computers.  At some point their goal was to make money by
making computers that someone who is totally computer naive can use.  At one
point their goal was to make money by making excellent computers that Steve
Jobs would want to use.  Now it seems that their goal is to make money by
selling Apple services and cell phones.

> Otherwise, you're just blowing hot air based upon your personal prejudices
> and misunderstanding of the technology.
>
> I prefer to attempt to be helpful when someone asks a question—not just tell
> them that I don't like the computer they're using, what's wrong with it in my
> view, or disparage how it is intended to be used. The fact that you prefer to
> do those three things is what I perceive as your unproductive attitude.

Actually what I said was that I had been frustrated by the same problem.  At
one point in this discussion I even posted a link  to a web page that purported
to solve that very problem, which some might say was a bit more helpful than
telling them that their problem doesn't exist.

Though, perhaps we should give this topic a rest, and as has been discussed
elsewhere, get back to talking about our Pentax cameras.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com.   sent from Mirkwood

--