> I have just looked on their website and a few important details seem to
> be missing from the product info. How exactly does the 'film' insert
> communicate to the external viewer? In order for there to be no
> modifications required to the camera, presumably you need a wireless
> connection of some sort (bluetooth?). There is no sign of a cable
> connecting the devices, and that would make a mess of the camera seals
> if they had one, surely.  That being the case, how is the internal unit
> powered? There is mention of 4*AA batteries but this is presumably for
> the viewer as they would not fit inside the internal unit.

Yes, I wondered about how the connectivity from the inside to the outside
works as well, but none of their tech sheets had info, nor did any other
information on the web I could find.

> Also, how does the unit know when the shutter has fired and what shutter
> speed is to be used? Does it constantly 'look' for a light source and
> when one is found power up the CCD? or is the CCD permanently warmed
> ready for use? Does this represent a power drain of some sort?

Presumably, if the internal bit can send information to the external bit,
it can probably receive settings such as film speed and what-not, too.

Older websites give more information:
(May 2001)
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/989073052.html
Describes a little box to which you offload images after shooting 24
shots.

http://www.ideinc.com/silfilmright.html
Talks about how it was designed specifically (at first, hopefully ...) to
fit the "top 5 amateur SLR cameras".

http://www.idsa.org/whatis/seewhat/idea2001/winners/S8056.htm
Here's a closeup of what they thought the box into which your dump your
pictures was going to look like.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/PMAS01/982172823.html
Some example pictures taken with the silicon film.

Sorry for the glut of links, but after hearing about this today I went
looking for all the info I could find, and though some other might find it
interesting.