Hi Matt,

You may simply use empirical dependence from cache entries to memory usage.
I set max-cache-entries=2000000
and have approximately 500 ( +- 15 Mb, less than 1 percent )Mb of memory usage on my recursor boxes.

Is there a way to set the max amount of memory used by pdns-recursor?  I
know that there is a setting for max-cache-entries, but I want to set
this value based on memory used, not by a count of entries.   For
example, I have a server with 2 GB dedicated to this and I want to
allocate 1.5 GB of that available ram to the cache. -Matt

Sergey Alexanov
SA1215-RIPE
[EMAIL PROTECTED]