hiya ace audio-heads,

Being as how I'm a sucky scripter, though improving through diligence, hard
work, and pestering people who are good at scripting, I was wondering if
there was a way to improve this process. I want to do batch file conversions
in sox, it has no built-in batch functions. This command works OK:

$ for i in `ls *.wav`; do echo -e "$i"; sox $i $i.cdr; echo -e "$i.cdr"; done

But the results are like this:

KDE_Logout_new.wav
KDE_Logout_new.wav.cdr
new_game.wav
new_game.wav.cdr

So, sed to the rescue:

$ for FILE in *.wav ; do ( sox $FILE `echo $FILE.cdr | sed -e 's/\.wav//'` ) ;
done

$ ls
KDE_Logout_new.cdr
new_game.cdr

Is there a more streamlined way to do this? or a better utility than sox?