On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:

>> and here is a link to the relevant discussion about this change:
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.php.devel/82446
>
> Perhaps, I don't mind a check for an incorrect version, but when you
> decide to block things because you can not determine anything, then it's
> just stupid. Hannes very nicely summed that up in this post (even though
> *that* is about the LICENSE file requirement).
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.php.pecl.devel/10336
>
> and in:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.php.pecl.devel/10339
>
> And Johannes in (more on topic with the version nr):
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.php.pecl.devel/10342
>
> But the problem is not checking for it, the problem is blocking an
> upload of a package that is perfectly valid and *correct*.

The package is not correct, while working.

We have discussed the naming and this requirement years ago. Many
developers have annoyed by the lack of checks for the version, license
or other things making the package meta information wrong. This has
been a disturbing point for our users and distributions. Now you moved
the checks to warning, allowing one to release invalid packages,
without even waiting for a reply or answer. Just like what happened
last time for the license check. This is an unacceptable behavior. And
that pisses us off, if I may use the same wording that you do.

Please update your code and that's it. There is no point to discuss or
argue about this for ages while it takes you 5 seconds to do it, even
more as you are the only one complaining about that.

Cheers.
--
Pierre

@pierrejoye | http://www.libgd.org