On 23/06/2018 15:16, Jan Ehrhardt wrote:
Rowan Collins in php.internals (Fri, 22 Jun 2018 23:40:27 +0100):
However, it seems that the package without a d is actually abandoned.
The official PECL package was last released more than 5 years ago [3],
and the bug asking for PHP 7 compatibility is still open [4]. An
unofficial fork apparently supports PHP 7 [5] but it in turn hasn't had
a commit in 11 months, and has an open bug for 7.2 compatibility [6].
It has some PR's, even a recent one by Remi Collet for 7.3
compatibility.
https://github.com/websupport-sk/pecl-memcache/pull/30

The open bug for 7.2 compatibility seems to be open only because nobody
bothered to close it.

Well spotted. That "nobody bothered to close it" still worries me though - it suggests nobody is really co-ordinating what has and hasn't been fixed. I'd be wary of relying on it for my production code unless I was willing to maintain my own set of patches, keeping an eye out for submissions by Remi et al.

- Is there any difference, other than API design, between the two
packages, which would merit seeking a new maintainer for memcache
(without a d)?
The package without a d is AFAIK the only one that runs on Windows:
https://github.com/websupport-sk/pecl-memcache/issues/23#issuecomment-358956029
Client & server updates by 'nono303':
https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=7919
https://github.com/nono303/PHP7-memcache-dll

Ah, that's an important difference; if we do keep both packages, that should definitely be made clear in the documentation.

Regards,

--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]