Dear Jon, Michael, list

Michael, thanks for offering your article which I found very useful and
complementary for my short remarks. Very nice of you.

Jon, if I understood you correctly, you are putting the meaning of a symbol
on the interpreter as the arbiter of the process of interpretation.
Although I agree that meaning happens in the relation of the sign with its
interpretant, I would be careful not to slip into some kind of
psychologism, for the being of a symbol, the form that it embodies, must be
independent on any particular mind or collection of minds.
So, yes, the symbol carries with himself the arbiter of his own possible
general interpretants, which we may call its "purpose". That's why only
symbols can be self-conscious and govern its own conduct. The man, for
instance, is not the creator of a symbol. He IS the symbol.

Vinicius

--
Vinicius Romanini, Ph.D.
Professor of Communication Studies