Ulysses asked:

"Could you elaborate on the connection you see                (5623-1)
between context and arbitrariness?"

All I was trying to say was that the meaning of a sign is not just the
function of the sign itself(with all its elaborate structures described by
Peirce) but also of the context in which the sign is used.  Hence the
meaning of a word is undefinable or arbitrary without its context being
taken into account.

A similar relation seems to exist between a system and its environment:
They are of equal importance in determining the function of a system.  In
other words, the function of a system is not determined by the system
alone but by the combination of a system and its environment, for which I
coined a new word, “systome” in [biosemiotics:4003]:

        Function <---> Systome = System  +  Environment        (5623-2)

Similarly, it may be useful to coin a word, X, that fits the following
eqaurtion:

        Meaning <--->  X = Sign  +  Context                    (5623-3)

If anyone on this list has any suggestion for a short name for X, please
let me know.  One possibility that came to mind is

        X = “signtext” (read as “sign” + “text”)               (5623-4)

but there must be more poetic ones than this.

If  the definition given by 5623-3) is aadopted, then the arbitrariness of
‘sign’ would be much reduced, if not totally eliminated.  In other words,

      “’Signtexts’  are less arbitrary than signs.”            (5623-5)
Or,
       “Signtexts carry more information than signs.”          (5623-6)

In conclusion, I would predict that

   "If signtexts are used instead of traditional               (5623-7)
   signs in human communications, the probability
   of misunderstanding will be greatly reduced and
   many unnecessary debates will be eliminated."

With all the best.

Sung
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701

www.conformon.net

> [...]

>>> interpretation."
>>>
>>> Again, I'm referring to the symbol only within three classes; the
>>> Dicent Symbol, the rhematic symbol and the argument. Those are the only
>>> three triads that include the symbol relation. And I agree - it is
>>> constituted a symbol only by the interpretation. And that interpretation
>>> rests within the community-of-users.
>>>
>>> 2) This interpretation involves a power of the symbol to cause a real
>>> fact;
>>>
>>> I've got no problem with the above. Such Arguments as 'the Golden Rule'
>>> cause real factual behaviour. The rhematic symbol of 'honour' causes
>>> real factual behaviour.
>>>
>>> 3) Now it is of the essential nature of a symbol that it determines an
>>> interpretant, which is itself a symbol. A symbol, therefore, produces
>>> an endless series of interpretants.
>>>
>>> Again, I've no problem with the above.
>>>

>>> 4) But the universe is intelligible; and therefore it is possible to
>>> give a general account of it and its origin. This general account is a
>>> symbol; and from the nature of a symbol, it must begin with the formal
>>> assertion
>>> hat there was an indeterminate nothing of the nature of a symbol.
>>>
>>> Ah, now here - I DO have a problem. That's setting up the origin of the
>>> universe as a symbol, even, as an Argument. That sounds essentialist to
>>> me...rather similar to Derrida's 'Logos'.  And I note Houser's later
>>> comments on the difficulty of this part of Peirce's writing.  That the
>>> Universe is rational - I can accept; that the laws of nature are
>>> 'natural'
>>> and even, an expression of reason, I can accept...but any implication
>>> of an
>>> a priori agenda...I have a problem with that. See also Houser's outline
>>> in
>>> the later pages of his article.
>>>
>>> 5) As a symbol it produced its infinite series of interpretants, which
>>> in
>>> the beginning were absolutely vague like itself. Butthe direct
>>> interpretant
>>> of any symbol must in the first stage of it be merely the
>>> *tabula rasa *for an interpretant. Hence the immediate interpretant of
>>> this vague Nothing was not even determinately vague, but only vaguely
>>> hovering between determinacy and vagueness; and its immediate
>>> interpretant
>>> was vaguely hovering between vaguely hovering between vagueness and
>>> determinacy and determinate vagueness or determinacy, and so on, *ad
>>> infinitum*.
>>>
>>> I can see that Peirce is defining the universe as a pure Argument -
>>> but,
>>> with its first Interpretants as vague. I can, on the other hand, see
>>> the
>>> universe as Rational, which is akin to the aspatial and atemporal
>>> nature of
>>> the pure Argument; and I can see the first interpretants as in a mode
>>> Firstness. But frankly, I can't see any 'symbolic' relations (which are