Words are a large step from the signs that give rise to speech. That is one
reason I feel we are surrounded by mysteries even within our own reach and
sight and certainly beyond the reach of both. That we speak of ourselves as
distinct elements of reality is useful but all life can be said to show a
will to live or exist. One of my attractions to Peirce is that he places a
high valuation on the individual and in the same breath acknowledges that
the notion of a distinct self is a stretch. Vagueness is to me synonymous
with much that we call reality.

*@stephencrose <https://twitter.com/stephencrose>*