Dear Howard, list

I do indicate, in the quote below, that the study of the implementation of
reasoning is important.
I see Howard's point of history changing between extremes. I think we live in a
period where important disoveries in e.g. brain imaging technology once again
make many people think that the study of logic and reasoning could be reduced
to the empirical investigation of brains. This is why, like 100 years ago, I
find it reasonable again to insist ot anti-psychologism. This is not to say I
identify such an approach with GOFAI and its idea that all intelligence should
be the result of formal Turing-style computing. Quite on the contrary, I think
currents like "extended mind" points to the (non-psychological) study of the
many different artifices embodying cognition, such as images, diagrams,
gesture, bodies, computers, infrastructure, libraries  etc.
Funnily, I share Howard's fascination with mathematical and other discoveries,
in the Poincaré description of  “combinations which present themselves to the
mind in a kind of sudden illumination after a somewhat prolonged period of
unconscious work  . . . but those only which are interesting find their way
into the field of consciousness. . . A few only are harmonious, and
consequently at once useful and beautiful"  But i do not see this as refuting
anti-psychologism at all! Howard adds that "Peirce calls this unconscious
activity abduction; but how can it be brain-independent?" This depends upon
what you take "brain-independent" to mean. Of couse, such processes take place
in the brains of mathematicians, informed by discussions, manipulations of
diagrams and calculations on paper and screens etc.. But "independence" here
does not mean it takes place without the intermediary of brains - it means that
the relevant thought structures are not the product of brain processes
exclusively but possess their own inner structures. If we do not stick to that,
we get absurdities such as the idea that all of mathematics are but arbitrary
human inventions.
This is also why I think Howard's final volly supports my position rather than
the opposite:
The evidence so far leads me to think embodied cognition is most important.
Hans Moravec: “Encoded in the large, highly evolved sensory and motor portions
of the human brain is a billion years of experience about the nature of the
world and how to survive in it. The deliberate process we call reasoning is, I
believe, the thinnest veneer of human thought, effective only because it is
supported by this much older and much more powerful, though usually
unconscious, sensorimotor knowledge.” [my italics]
When speaking about the chain of reasoning I am exactly referring to such
unconscious, sensorimotor knowledge (cf. the references to von Uexküll and the
chapters on him in my former book). Maybe the expression "chain of reasoning"
here is misleading and I do not mind to replace it if it is a stumbling block
to some. The important thing is the insistence that the ongoing process of
cognition in both humans and animals involves brains, external artifices,
perceptions, bodies, concepts, etc. as recruited aspects rather than
constitutents, and that this process has properties, especially in its
isolation of object and inference structures, which are not psychological of
nature.

Den 07/09/2014 kl. 02.59 skrev Howard Pattee