Frederik, lists,

I haven't spent much time of late studying the literature of contemporary
neuroscience in general and Barsalou's theory in particular. Since I'm away
from my desk until this evening, I thought I'd at least take a glance at
some of that literature before re-reading your section on psychologism in
NP. An hour or so ago I found this brief and cogent commentary on
Barsalou's 'Perceptual Symbol Systems' which might also serve (I think) as
an outline of some of his principal ideas. See:
http://www.vub.ac.be/CLEA/liane/Reviews/Barsalou.htm

Here's a link to Barsalou's paper commented on:
http://psychology.emory.edu/cognition/barsalou/papers/Barsalou_BBS_1999_perceptual_symbol_systems.pdf

I've cut and pasted some intriguing snippets from the beginning of the
commentary by Lianne Gaboro:

To insist [as Barsalou does] that abstractions are just arrangements of
perceptual symbols is like insisting that a plant is just seed + water +
sunlight.

[Rather] it seems more parsimonious to say that what was once a
constellation of memories of similar experiences has organized itself into
an entity whose structure and pattern reside primarily at a level that was
not present in the constituents from which it was derived. This does not
mean that abstractions can't retain something of their "perceptual
character" [p. 5].

One from the middle:

Barsalou pays surprisingly little attention to the highly relevant work of
connectionists. The only rationale he provides is to say that because 'the
starting weights between connections are set to small *random *values' ...
'the relation between a conceptual representation and its perceptual input
is arbitrary' [p. 5, S1.2P8]. This is misleading. Just because there are
many paths to an attractor doesn't mean the attractor is not attracting.
Surely there are analogous small random differences in real brains. This
quick dismissal of connectionism is unfortunate because it has addressed
many of the issues Barsalou addresses, but its more rigorous approach leads
to greater clarity.

Consider, for example, what happens when a neural network abstracts a
prototype such as the concept 'depth', which is used in senses ranging from
'deep blue sea' to 'deep-freezed vegetables' to 'deeply moving book'. The
various context-specific interpretations of the word cancel one another
out; thus the concept is, for all intents and purposes, amodal, though
acquired through specific instances. There is no reason to believe this
does not happen in brains as well. The organizational role Barsalou
ascribes to 'simulators' emerges implictly in the dynamics of the neural
network. Moreover, since Barsalou claims that "a concept is equivalent to a
simulator" [p. 15, S2.4.3P2], it is questionable whether the new jargon
earns its keep. Why not just stick with the word 'concept'?

And one from the latter part of the article, pointing to her own research:

Harder to counter is Barsalou's critique that an amodal system necessitates
"evolving a radically new system of representation" [p. 40, S4.2P3].
Barsalou repeatedly hints at but does not explicitly claim that the origin
of abstract thought presents a sort of chicken-and-egg problem. That is, it
is difficult to see how an abstraction could come into existence before
discrete perceptual memories have been woven into an interconnected
worldview that can guide representational redescription down potentially
fruitful paths. Yet it is just as difficult to see how the interconnected
worldview could exist prior to the existence of abstractions; one would
expect them to be the glue that holds the structure together. In [Gabora,
1998; Gabora, in press] I outline a speculative model of how this might
happen, drawing on Kauffman's [1993] theory of how an information-evolving
system emerges through the self-organization of an autocatalytic network.
Self-organizing processes are rampant in natural systems [Kauffman 1993],
and could quite conceivably produce a phase transition the catapults the
kind of change in representational strategy that Barsalou rightly claims is
necessary.

Perhaps more on this tomorrow after I reread and reflect on your remarks in
NP, Frederik. Meanwhile, I'd be very interested to see what you and other
list members think of Gabora's critique of Barsalou as well as her own
suggestion that since self-organizing processes are ubiquitous in nature
that they "*could quite conceivably produce a phase transition the
catapults the kind of change in representational strategy that Barsalou
rightly claims is necessary**."*

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*