Gary F., Stephen, lists,

Gary F. wrote,

   When an /object/ is given a name, it’s either a proper name (which
   is essentially an indexical symbol) [....]
   [End quote]

Just a note on the idea of the personal name as kind of indexical symbol. This is by way of a little more followup on the question of what became of the idea of the Singular Symbol that Peirce discussed in "Sundry Logical Conceptions" (EP 2, the third part of "Syllabus" of 1902). To be an indexical symbol such as a personal name with many possible instances, something would need to be a symbol with an indexical legisign attached, or at any rate some complexus of symbol and indexical legisign. But in 1904 Peirce classifies proper names as rhematic indexical legisigns.

CP 8.341. From draft Letter to Lady Welby, 1904 October 12 http://www.unav.es/gep/Welby12.10.04.html :

   P.S. On the whole, then, I should say there were ten principal
   classes of signs

   1. Qualisigns
   2. Iconic Sinsigns
   3. Iconic Legisigns
   4. _/Vestiges,/_ or Rhematic Indexical Sinsigns
   5. _/Proper Names,/_ or Rhematic Indexical Legisigns
   6. Rhematic Symbols
   7. Dicent Sinsigns (as a portrait with a legend)
   8. Dicent Indexical Legisigns
   9. _/Propositions,/_ or Dicent Symbols
   10. Arguments.

I can see an argument that a symbol should be able to symbolize an individual person, to the extent that an individual person is a _/general individual/_ (in Peirce's earlier terminology) as opposed to a _/singular individual/_ (existing at just one point of space and time), and to the extent that one accepts Peirce's idea stated elsewhere that people are not so individual at all and live on in other people, and so on. But Peirce doesn't turn to such ideas in his sign classifications in "Nomenclature" (fifth part of "Syllabus") or in the October 12, 1904 draft letter to Lady Welby.

Best, Ben