Gary, Howard, List,

The critical question here is whether our conceptual framework (methods,
models, practices, theories, etc.) is adequate to a given domain of phenomena
and problems.

Naturalism being one of the few isms that I fess up to, I assume that
everything that happens is natural.  The question of reductionism is not
whether intellectual, mental, semiotic, or whatever phenomena reduce to natural
(physical, chemical, biological, etc.) laws but whether they reduce to
so-&-so's favorite natural laws.

Physics is rife with triadic relations because mathematics is rife with triadic
relations and so it is possible that some of these relations may already be
winners with regard to affording models of processes that are adequate to the
rei of the semiotic domain, but I do not get the sense that those potentially
adequate resources are currently being exploited to their full potential by
people whose pet models fall into the dyadic mold.

Regards,

Jon

Sent from my iPad