At 09:40 AM 10/20/2014, Edwina Taborsky wrote:

Howard wrote: That is only a narrow human view of nominalism. I think Peirce's view of Tychasm and Agapism is more radical. He generalizes signs, interpreters, mind, habits, and love to the entire natural world.

Edwina: What do tychasm and agapasm have to do with nominalism?

HP: I'm suggesting that Peirce's all-inclusive view of evolution (tychasticism, anancasticism, and agapasticism) suggests there are functional epistemologies (like nominalism) before there were humans. Call them proto-epistemologies if you wish, like Tyler's proto-propositions.

HP: Realism and nominalism are generalized epistemic propositions (signs refer to individual and universal objects, or signs refer to just individual objects).

Edwina: Is this your definition of realism and nominalism?

HP: No. It's a caricature just for brevity. I didn't want my point to be waylaid by arguments over the many ambiguous meanings of realism and nominalism (they were anyway). My point was only that some functional kind of epistemology (a general interpretation of how signs relate to their objects)) must arise before humans.

Howard wrote:
If bacteria use signs, then we must consider if it is meaningful to ask, e.g., if the bacteria's "sugar Dicisign" (p. 145) interprets signs realistically or naturalistically.

Edwina: I'm not sure what this means - what does 'realistically or naturalistically' mean? Do you mean whether the bacterium reacts within a realistic or nominalist framework?

HP: Exactly. More generally, do the symbols of the genes code only nominalistically for specific amino acids, or do they code realistically for universal functions like catalysis and self-replication? The evidence seems clear that gene symbols code for both, as well as many other conditional and control activites that can't be called either specific or universal.

Howard