Jon,list.
 
It sounds good.  By the way, I like your choice of "tuple" or maybe "n-element" 
as a means to sort out the number of individuals from the number of the 
relative, and both from the number of relations etc. I figured out that a 
3-tuple monad is equivalent to a 3-tuple dual relative in "number."  But in the 
former case, it the number of relations. (Apparently Peirce proves this in 
1882.)
 
In any case, I get the whole 0,1 thing from PL. I was just bothered by the idea 
that "b" is up above when "a" collapses leaving only "x" to go infintely down 
+/-  > 0 .  I also wondered whether the stated parameters are actually 
countably finite or not.
 
Last aside, Peirce could use a distinct quantifier as well as an individual 
variable symbol.  This is probably unfair.
 
Jim W
 
> Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 09:46:53 -0500
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]; [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Peirce's 1880 “Algebra Of Logic” Chapter 3 • Selection 6
> 
> 1880 Algebra Of Logic : Logic Of Relatives
> •••:http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15566
> JW:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15698
> JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15699
> JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15701
> JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15703
> JW:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15706
> JW:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15709
> JW:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15714
> 
> 1870 Logic Of Relatives : Doctrine Of Individuals
> JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15673
> JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15679
> 
> Jim, List,
> 
> At this point we need to go back to the 1870 Logic of Relatives
> and review what Peirce wrote about the "Doctrine of Individuals".
> This passage represents one of the most radical insights in all
> of Peirce's thought and it is crucial to understanding the way
> he managed to finesse the whole debacle of nominal thinking.
> 
> But I know I've reviewed and we've discussed this many times before,
> so I'm thinking I might save a few quanta of mental effort by going
> back and looking up some of the previous visitations.
> 
> May take a while to collect the links ...
> 
> Jon
> 
> On 2/17/2015 11:05 PM, Jim Willgoose wrote:
> >
> > jon, list I changed my mind. "The simple is the negative of the 
> > individual."  This is the last line of section 1.   I took the sign "~a" as 
> > 0  on the grounds that the product of negated individuals would be 0 if "a" 
> > is the logical sum of individuals. I then assumed you could introduce 
> > something else, say "b," and if not, then a single algebra is defined.   
> > That may be ok. But that is not the problem.  Rather, both limits collapse 
> > forcing a redescription of what is individual and what is simple. Thus, 
> > what is in an individual up to N comes unglued in R.  Correspondingly, what 
> > is a simple in R requires more flexibility in the definition of an 
> > individual.
> >
> > Jim W> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:00:06 -0500
> >> From: [email protected]
> >> To: [email protected]
> >> Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Peirce's 1880 “Algebra Of Logic” Chapter 3 • Selection 
> >> 6
> >>
> >> Post   : Peirce's 1880 “Algebra Of Logic” Chapter 3 • Selection 6
> >> http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2015/02/16/peirces-1880-algebra-of-logic-chapter-3-%e2%80%a2-selection-6/
> >> Posted : February 16, 2015 at 10:30 am
> >>
> >> Peircers,
> >>
> >> As long as I've got the WordPress warmed up,
> >> I might as well post the last paragraph of
> >> the present section, CP 3.222.  And then
> >> I think it's probably time to balance,
> >> or ballast, these flighty abstractions
> >> with a few bags of concrete examples.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Jon
> >>
> >> <blockquote>
> >>
> >> Chapter 3. The Logic of Relatives (cont.)
> >>
> >> §2. Relatives (concl.)
> >>
> >> 222.  Instead of considering the system of a relative as consisting
> >> of non-relative individuals, we may conceive of it as consisting of
> >> relative individuals.  Thus, since
> >>
> >> A  =  A:A  +  A:B  +  A:C  +  A:D  +  etc.,
> >>
> >> we have
> >>
> >> A:B  =  (A:A):B  +  (A:B):B  +  (A:C):B  +  (A:D):B  +  etc.
> >>
> >> But
> >>
> >> B  =  B:A  +  B:B  +  B:C  +  B:D  +  etc.;
> >>
> >> so that
> >>
> >> A:B  =  A:(B:A)  +  A:(B:B)  +  A:(B:C)  +  A:(B:D)  +  etc.
> >>
> >> </blockquote>
> >>
> >> References
> >>
> >> • Peirce, C.S. (1880), “On the Algebra of Logic”,
> >>     American Journal of Mathematics 3, 15–57.
> >>     Collected Papers (CP 3.154–251),
> >>     Chronological Edition (CE 4, 163–209).
> >>
> >> • Peirce, C.S., Collected Papers of Charles Sanders Peirce,
> >>     vols. 1–6, Charles Hartshorne and Paul Weiss (eds.),
> >>     vols. 7–8, Arthur W. Burks (ed.), Harvard University Press,
> >>     Cambridge, MA, 1931–1935, 1958.  Volume 3 : Exact Logic, 1933.
> >>
> >> • Peirce, C.S., Writings of Charles S. Peirce : A Chronological Edition,
> >>     Peirce Edition Project (eds.), Indiana University Press, Bloomington
> >>     and Indianapolis, IN, 1981–.  Volume 4 (1879–1884), 1986.
> >>
> >> Resources
> >>
> >> • Peirce’s 1870 Logic Of Relatives
> >> http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Peirce%27s_1870_Logic_Of_Relatives
> >>
> 
> -- 
> 
> academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
> my word press blog: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
> inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
> isw: http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/JLA
> oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
> facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache
                                          
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to