Sung, apart from being a circular argument and thus fallacious, as a syllogism, 
it is invalid because of the logical error of the undistributed middle. Look it 
up; I know that you don't understand syllogistic logic. 

The syllogistic fallacy that you make is:
[ALL] X is y.
[ALL] Z is y.
Therefore [All] Z is X.

The above is your format. It is invalid...because the 'middle term'  of 'y' 
that connects the two (X and Z) is not distributed. Again - I'm not going to 
explain syllogistic logic to you. 

An example would be:
ALL rabbits have fur.
ALL (or my) dog has fur.
Therefore my dog is a rabbit.

That's the error you made. 

Edwina
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Sungchul Ji 
  To: PEIRCE-L 
  Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2015 9:53 PM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] More on applying theory - culture, projection


  Edwina wrote:


  "Sung, I suggest that your assertions that because we 'think, write and speak 
in signs' and that Peircean research was 'devoted to signs'...that your 
subsequent conclusion that 'any topics that we 'think, write and speak' are 
therefore valid on a Peircean list is a logical fallacy of circular reasoning. 
You've reduced the meaning of 'sign' to emptiness."



  I disagree with your conclusions  above, since  (i) I do not see any logical 
fallacy in what I said in my previous post which is summarized below nor (ii) 
did I say anything about the meaning of "sign". 


  1. We think, write, and speak in signs.
  2. Peirce's research was devoted to signs.
  3. Any topics about which we think, write, and speak are therefore are 
Peirce-related.


  Perhaps  my understanding of your criticisms is incomplete. If you think so, 
I would appreciate your clarifications. 


  All the best.


  Sung






  On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Edwina Taborsky <[email protected]> wrote:

    I'd agree with Ben; I don't think the list can be reduced to 'any and all 
topics'. It's a Peircean list. 

    Sung, I suggest that your assertions that because we 'think, write and 
speak in signs' and that Peircean research was 'devoted to signs'...that your 
subsequent conclusion that 'any topics that we 'think, write and speak' are 
therefore valid on a Peircean list is a logical fallacy of circular reasoning. 
You've reduced the meaning of 'sign' to emptiness. 

    As for Stephen and his matriarchal/patriarchal claims, my view is that they 
are analytically incorrect; I consider that he has ignored the economic mode 
and societal infrastructure as primarily causal of both these modes of 
organization (matriarchy/patriarchy) - but, since these factors are neither 
Peircean nor even semiosic, then, I have no intention of getting into a debate 
on this list.

    But I do acknowledge Stephen Rose's post - for often, even when a post 
states that it is Peircean related - this relation may be as invalid as Sung's 
illogical claim above - or, as well, a few posters seem isolate-in-themselves, 
speaking only for and about their own focus. This can result in a monologue or 
a dialogue engaged in only by one other person. That's what the 'delete' button 
is for.

    Edwina
      ----- Original Message ----- 
      From: Benjamin Udell 
      To: [email protected] 
      Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2015 6:17 PM
      Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] More on applying theory - culture, projection


      Sung, all,

      Your post implies that we should emulate Peirce to a T but we can't 
emulate Peirce to a T because we aren't Peirce. PEIRCE-L is for Peirce-related 
discussion. Peirce himself was not focused on 'Peirce-related' discussion. 
Instead those who carry on prolonged, multi-post discussions of a given topic 
should clarify and thematize the topic's relation to Peirce because that is 
what is promised to subscribers and that is what most subscribers expect.

      That has been and will continue to be the policy of peirce-l.

      Best, Ben Udell as co-manager, peirce-l.

      On 7/2/2015 5:42 PM, Sungchul Ji wrote:

        Bev, Gary, lists, 


        I agree with Bev, because Peirce's whole career was devoted to the 
study of signs and "Peirce-related" is thus "sign-related", it seems to me.  
Besides, as I learned it from Peirce, we THINK, WRITE, and SPEAK in SIGNS, and 
hence whatever we post on these lists should be regarded as Peirce-related in 
one way or another, including linguistic texts, chemical equations, 
mathematical formulas, network diagrams, pictures, and whatever else that may 
emerge in the future as NEW means of communication and representation through 
the Internet.


        In other words, for me, semiotics is not yet closed.  Its future should 
not be confined to studying MACRO-SEMIOTICS as constructed by Poinsot, Peirce, 
and others but should be open to studying both MICRO-SEMIOTICS as currently 
being developed in biosemiotics (.e.g., DNA as a molecular sign) and what may 
be called 'COSMO-SEMIOTICS' as may be developed in the future (e.g., viewing 
spiral galaxies as cosmological signs). Imagine what fantastic syntheses in 
philosophy Pierce's genius might be accomplishing now were he alive today ! 


        All the best.


        Sung


        On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Bev Corwin <[email protected]> wrote:

          I enjoy all of the discussions and would prefer more broad than 
restrictive frameworks. I consider restricting discussions as more technocratic 
tactic / approach and not Perice related in style. 


          Bev




          -----------------------------
          PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY 
ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to 
[email protected] . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to 
[email protected] with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the 
message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .











        -- 

        Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

        Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
        Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
        Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
        Rutgers University
        Piscataway, N.J. 08855
        732-445-4701

        www.conformon.net




--------------------------------------------------------------------------



      -----------------------------
      PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with 
the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .








    -----------------------------
    PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with 
the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .











  -- 

  Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

  Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
  Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
  Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
  Rutgers University
  Piscataway, N.J. 08855
  732-445-4701

  www.conformon.net


------------------------------------------------------------------------------



  -----------------------------
  PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with 
the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to