Ben N., all,
Let's re-start the thread from this fresh copy and hope that the glitch
doesn't recur. Further below I paste Ben Novak's initial post. Here I'll
add his info on the URL for the PDF of his book:
http://access.cjh.org/home.php?type=extid&term=1055795#1
...and click all the "continues" as they appear, and then wait for
quite a while. Eventually the pdf loads, and it is possible to read
the dissertation.
The dissertation contains many clerical and other errors, most of
which have been corrected for the book. Also, there are a few
additions to the text, including a new final chapter.
However, for the purpose of reviewing my explication and application
of Peirce's logic, everything essential is present in the
dissertation available at the above site in pdf.
[End quote]
And I'd add that the large PDF may strain one's computer's resources if
one tries to read it online. Upon reaching the download page for the
huge PDF itself, I'd right-click for the option to save to computer, to
a familiar folder from which to open and read it.
Best, Ben
On 7/5/2015 8:27 PM, Ben Novak wrote:
Dear Peirce-L members:
Please allow me to join Tom Wyrick in accepting the invitation to
introduce ourselves.
I am rejoining this List for the third time. I first joined in
approximately 1999 when I discovered Charles Sanders Peirce as I was
writing my Ph.D. dissertation. Peirce's theory of abduction then
became a major part of it. I completed the dissertation and received
my Ph.D. from Penn State University in 1999, at the ripe old age of
fifty-six. At that time I was a practicing attorney in State College,
PA. I think I recall Jon Awbrey as an active discussant even way back
them...
Subsequently, I moved to Europe where I taught at various universities
in Slovakia, Austria, and Bulgaria.; In about 2006, I rejoined the
List and engaged in some very interesting email discussions with, Sami
Paavola, among others
I am happy to say that in 2014 Lexington Books saw fit to publish my
work under the title, /Hitler and Abductive Logic: The Strategy of a
Tyrant/ . You may find it on Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/Hitler-Abductive-Logic-Strategy-Tyrant/dp/0739192248
The relevance of this work to Peirce-L list members should be obvious
from its title: Hitler and Abductive Logic . The editorial reviews
bring out the Peirce connection even more:
Hitler and Abductive Logic: The Strategy of a Tyrant is
thought-provoking and extremely creative, exploring aspects and
influences of Hitler’s formative years that other biographers and
historians have not examined to the same degree of detail. The
application of the logic of abduction to Hitler’s mental development
is fascinating, and clearly no other author has tried to apply
Peirce’s description to Hitler in such a way.
(Beth A. Griech-Polelle, Bowling Green State University)
The amount of literature on Adolf Hitler is astounding. And yet, as
Ben Novak demonstrates, historians still have not fully explained how
this ill-educated and irrational provincial Austrian actually rose to
power in Germany. This work uses the concept of abductive logic both
as a means of investigating the mystery of Hitler's rise to power and
as a way to understand the mind and character of Hitler. Novak's book,
written in an engaging narrative style, offers a compelling argument
for a new approach to the mystery of Hitler's rise to power. (Jackson
Spielvogel, Pennsylvania State University) p>
In light of some of the recent discussions on applying Peirce's
concepts to issues outside of formal academic discussions of logic,
many of the current members of the List may find this work of
compelling interest in expanding the discussion to wider examples of
applications of Peirce's logic.
I would be very interested in the reviews of Peirce specialists on the
manner in which I apply Peirce's concepts to this subject. Of course,
I realize how grotesque, sensitive (and toxic) the subject of Hitler
is. However, if Sherlock Holmes and August Dupin are correct that
'The more /outre'/ and grotesque an incident is the more carefully it
deserves to be examined... (Holmes),
'It appears to me that this mystery is considered insoluble, for the
very reason which should cause it to be regarded as easy of solution -
I mean for the /outre'/ character of its features... (Dupin)
...then the rise of Hitler especially invites the application of their
methods, which consist of brilliant applications Peirce's adductive
logic---as Umberto Eco and Thomas Sebeok make abundantly clear in The
Sign of Three: Dupin, Holmes, Peirce (which is a work that also plays
a significant role in my book). See:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Sign-Three-Advances-Semiotics/dp/0253204879
In any event, I will be very happy to discuss this subject and the
application of adductive logic with any members of the List who are
interested.
Sincerely,
Ben Novak
*Ben Novak <http://bennovak.net>*
5129 Taylor Drive, Ave Maria, FL 34142
Telephones:
Magic Jack: (717) 826-5224 /*Best to call and leave messages.*/
Landline: 239-455-4200 */My brother's main phone line./*
Mobile (202) 509-2655*/I use this only on trips--and in any event
messages arrive days late./*
Skype: BenNovak2
/"All art is mortal, not merely the individual artifacts, but the arts
themselves. One day the last portrait of Rembrandt and the last bar of
Mozart will have ceased to be — though possibly a colored canvas and a
sheet of notes may remain — because the last eye and the last ear
accessible to their message will have gone."/ Oswald Spengler
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .