Exactly right. Demagoguery is an old, basic, human tactic of shifting the focus 
and blame for real problems from factual reasons - usually caused by the 
self/people - to emotional non-causes: existing prejudices, biases, racism, 
emotional dreams and hopes etc. All of these emotions are 'rhetoric', in that 
they can't stand up to factual evidence but can be overwhelmingly powerful if 
kept isolated from the facts. 

We see it in preaching - whether from the pulpit or the political campaign; we 
see it in the words of activists and their causes; .... It's basic in politics 
and I won't give current examples here or the place will explode. I can think, 
however, of ONE example where a political leader refused the tactic and 
remained firmly rooted in reality. Remember the words: "I have nothing to offer 
but blood, toil, tears and sweat".  Now - that was not abductive!

Abduction is, after all, a technique to generate a hypothesis. BUT, a 
hypothesis, as pure rhetoric, is susceptible to demagoguery if it is kept 
isolated from factual evidence.

Induction is based on a grounding of observed evidence  - all those birds are 
black.
Deduction is based on a ground of a belief that has been validated by 
evidentiary testing.
Abudction has no grounds; it is the beginning of a hypothesis and must be 
subjected to testing. But without that testing, it can slip into the hands of a 
demagogue.

Again, thanks to Ben for the brief outline - which, I still think, is useful on 
a list. 

Edwina
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Ozzie 
  To: Benjamin Udell 
  Cc: [email protected] 
  Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2015 11:15 PM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Recently published: Hitler and Abductive Logic


  Ben ~ 
  Thanks for your helpful summary ("Ben N. is saying that Hitler was the first 
leader to invite the public to follow a pattern of abductive inference like in 
a detective story ..."). 


  Both for sport and to attain positions of leadership, Greek orators at the 
time of the Peloponnesian Wars invited the general public to form, accept and 
act on abducted hypotheses. The logical tales spun by Hitler were based upon 
resentment, which places him among the demagogues. 


  Regards -


  Tom Wyrick




  On Jul 9, 2015, at 8:37 PM, Benjamin Udell <[email protected]> wrote:


    Edwina, Ben N., list,


    I've been reading the online version of Ben N.'s thesis. I found that I 
could not save it to my computer without first opening it online, and in order 
to save it computer, one has to move one's mouse over some buttons in the upper 
right-hand corner of the view pane till a little tool tip says "Download".  I'm 
convinced that visual design of computer programs these days is largely done by 
sadists.


    Anyway, I've been reading it, it's two PDFs, and I'm half-way through the 
second one. It really is very readable, and that involvement of Hitler does add 
a certain electric current to the discussion of abductive inference. It's not a 
labor to read, and it's quite interesting. There are a number of technical 
errors (as Ben N. warns) evident to a Peirce scholar, but these can be 
corrected without damaging the thesis.


    In response to Edwina, I'd say that Ben N. does not present Hitler's rise 
as having a magical or mystical element, rather a mysterious element that 
requires explanation. He makes a case that many scholars think that there are 
some very difficult questions as to who Hitler was and how did he get so far. 
I'm no historian and hadn't read a book on Hitler since I was a teenager. So 
far, I'd say that the case is not made clear enough to the general reader that 
Hitler didn't just get lucky in the sense that some party had to come out on 
top or, in the classic formulation, "somebody has to be the king of France." 
Ben N. outlines some argument that luck wasn't such a big part of it, but it's 
not clear to me yet. On the other hand, I don't think that Ben N. is relying on 
a "Great Men" theory of history - he says that Hitler might have made very 
little difference in other times and circumstances.


    Insofar as everybody uses abductive inference, Ben N. perhaps doesn't bring 
out clearly enough the difference between Hitler's use of it and others' use of 
it, instead he talks about how Hitler was the first leader to use it. I think I 
know what Ben N. is getting at, but I'd phrase it more carefully. Ben N. is 
saying that Hitler was the first leader to invite the public to follow a 
pattern of abductive inference like in a detective story (Who Murdered 
Germany?), and that Hitler relied for credibility on the justificatory 
plausibility and complex cohesion of an untested hypothesis that would take a 
long time to verify. Well, there's more to it, which it would be foolish of me 
to try to summarize. I'd ask, is Ben N. so sure that Hitler was the first such 
leader? Many other regimes have 'explanations' that they give to their people, 
sometimes involving the idea of hidden forces behind events.


    Anyway, I'm enjoying reading it. One can certainly say that Ben Novak has 
made a serious effort, deserving of more attention than what some rather 
pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey stuff has received occasionally on peirce-l.


    Best, Ben 


    On 7/9/2015 7:12 PM, Edwina Taborsky wrote:

      Ben, I'm going to disagree with your view that in order to discuss the 
basic issue of your book, namely, your attempt to correlate the rise of Hitler 
with abductive logic - that it requires that we either buy your book or read it.

      I think that on a Peirce-list, the members ought to have a reasonable 
reading knowledge of Peirce's works, but I don't think that a research topic 
dealt with by a member requires that members of this list read that member's 
work. My view is that it is incumbent on YOU, to provide members with a 
reasonably thorough precis of the salient points of your argument.


      With regard to the points you have so far provided, my concern is that 
you seem to be trying to imbue Hitler's rise to power with some 'magical' or 
mystical element. 

      For example, you claim that when his party took power, German politics 
consisted of 28 parties - why was Hitler's dominant? In Canada, at the federal 
level, there are 26 political parties - and there is nothing particularly 
magical or surprising that only three are dominant. There are about 30 minor 
political parties in the US. Only two-three are dominant. 

      Second, my concern is your method of explaining this history. You seem to 
be using what is known as the 'Great Man Theory' of historical analysis, which 
examines history by focusing on the charisma or whatever of some singular 
causal individual. I consider this a weak analytic frame; I prefer the 'long 
duree' framework of the 'Annales' school (eg, Braudel), which considers 
infrastructural causality such as the population size, economic mode, 
technological capacity, trade relations etc...rather than individuals.

      As for fascism, it is an ideology of the mind, i.e., it is not rooted in 
pragmatic reality but in a notion of utopian purity of the past, such that 'if 
only we returned to that pure mode', then, all would be well. It is now rampant 
in the Al Qaeda (from the 19th c!) and ISIS of the MENA. There are, I maintain, 
population and economic reasons for the refusal of these populations and 
governments to deal with the pragmatic problems of the area and the  resultant 
retreat into fascism.

      Same with Germany of the 1930s. And, once an infrastructure is set up, 
e,g, National Socialism's Third Reich, it is extremely difficult to move out of 
the rhetoric and back down to hard reality. That requires an external 
intervention. Certainly, internally, some tried to stop Hitler - 

      As for Hitler being logical - what??? I think some examples would be 
helpful. His behaviour around Stalingrad was hardly logical. 

      Is the popularity of various cult figures, of wealthy preachers, of  due 
to their being logical? Or for some other reason(s)?

      What is abductive about Hitler's 'reasoning'?

      Again, my view - and I say it is my view - is that the onus for 
explanation of a topic is not to have readers buy your book or read it online, 
but for you to explain key points to us - and then, explain why you align it 
with Peircean theory.

      Edwina

      ----- Original Message ----- 
      From: Ben Novak 
      To: Stephen Jarosek 
      Cc: Stephen C. Rose ; Peirce List 
      Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2015 5:12 PM
      Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Recently published: Hitler and Abductive Logic


    -----------------------------
    PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with 
the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .







------------------------------------------------------------------------------



  -----------------------------
  PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with 
the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to