Ben, Jerry, lists,

Ben: ". . . . . When Peirce uses the word 'individual' he generally means
something such as this horse (Bucephalus), that building (the Empire State
Building), yonder tree (located on 7th St. in Manhattan), etc. In
"Nomenclature and Divisions of Triadic Relations, as Far as They Are
Determined" (starting on p. 289 in EP 2, also appearing in CP 2.233-72)
Peirce introduces his 10-class system made out of three trichotomies of
signs; he recapitulates it in a 1904 letter to Lady Welby in CP 8.327-41.  In
that system,

any individual serving as a sign is a sinsign; also in that system, all
symbols                (072615-1)
are legisigns, none are sinsigns, i.e., no symbols are individuals. . . ."

Sung: I know that the 10 classes of signs Peirce defined based on the 9
types of signs (or sign relations) do not admit of any "symbolic sinsign"
and all symbols are legisigns, i.e., only "symbolic legisigns" are allowed,
as Ben mentioned.

I have one question.  In 1998, Lu et al. [1] were able to isolate a single
molecule of the enzyme called "cytochrome oxidase" and measured its enzymic
activity, for the first time, as a function of time.
Why can't we consider this enzyme molecule that Lu et al. studied as an
INDIVIDUAL and its name "cytochrome oxidase" as a SYMBOL ?  In other words,
what would be wrong to consider cytochrome oxidase as a symbol standing for
the actual enzyme molecule (i.e., a sinsign) rather than a natural law
(i.e., legisign) ?

If we can divide sign processes into two categories --- MICROSEMIOTICS
(i.e., the study of molecular signs such as DNA) and MACROSEMIOTICS (i.e.,
the study of macroscopic signs such as Peircean writings) --- depending on
the physical size of the representamens invovled (e.g., moleucules in the
former and printed words in the latter) [2-6], I wonder if not all the
assertions that Peirce made based primarily on macrosemiotics apply to
microsemiotics, just as not all the assertions valid in macrophysics (e.g.,
Newtonian mechanics, thermodynamics) are found to be valid in microphysics
(e.g., quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics). If this analysis is
right, the interesting debate that is on going between Ben and Jerry may be
akin to the debates in the last century between classical physicists and
quantum physicists.

All the best.s

Sung