Helmut,

I'm not familiar with those volumes, and when looking around I was unable
to locate an English equivalent by Kloesel. Yes, I agree, the Collected
Papers are expensive; I was fortunate to get them from Intelex before they
stopped selling them to individuals. There is also a copy of the CP going
around in an electronic version on the internet. I got a copy of that for
under $3. It's not the best way, because images are lacking, which is very
unfortunate for Vol.4 especially, and then also many symbols aren't
portrayed well. Still, not bad for the price that I found it at. The
commens is certainly helpful. The Guide for the Perplexed is secondary
literature. I'm not familiar with Noth or Ort.

If you are inclined, I would suggest Essential Peirce, vol. 1 and 2 (there
are only those two volumes). Also, it is a good idea to keep in mind that
if you visit cspeirce.com, you will find at the top of the home page a link
to writings by Peirce that have been made available online. I myself
usually go there to reference the ULCE paper. If you have not had a chance
to read the following papers yet, I highly recommend "The Fixation of
Belief" and "How to Make Our Ideas Clear". "On a New List of Categories" is
important for deeper understanding. Probably "Questions Concerning Certain
Faculties Claimed for Man" and "Some Consequences of Four Incapacities"
would be good. I don't think these are writings that would typically be
thrown in with semiotics (except for "On a New List"), but they are
invaluable for understanding the basic perspective and understanding that
Peirce brings to his theory of semiotic.

Now with respect to your substantive remarks, I think there are a number of
things to say.

When you say "The first is the meaning of the sign, that what the sign is
about" and then "the sign has to present itself, so, be about itself as
well", it's unclear here what you mean by this. So let me give two guesses
on my part. First of all, there is the presentative aspect of the sign.
That is, we consider an object, and in what sense that object serves as a
sign. In Peirce's semiotic, this will mean that it either serves as a
medium according to a, or the, quality the object embodies (Firstness), the
brute existence of the object (Secondness), or the object as having some
kind of habit (Thirdness). This is what the trichotomy dealing with
qualisign, sinsign, and legisign is about. It deals with the sign in its
presentative aspect, what the basis is for its power of mediation. Then
besides this kind of presenting, there is the dynamical/immediate object
distinction. There is the object in itself, independent of what we think of
it, and this is the dynamic object; I believe this fits with your thought
that one aspect is "the meaning of the sign, what the sign is about". Then
there is the object as represented by the sign within the sign, and that is
the immediate object. As the quote from Frederik's book shows, the idea is
that the immediate object is not only about the dynamic object, but also
the sign itself. So you say, "the sign has to present itself, so, be about
itself as well." This seems to be exactly what the immediate obect
accomplishes. So I think you have been misunderstanding, and this
distinction between dynamical and immediate is what you are looking for. It
is simply misleading because it is referred to as immediate object rather
than, say, immediate sign, or self-representing sign. This is my guess.

Then there is what you have to say about arguments and propositions, and
here I think you have some confusion. The issue was not whether an argument
contains a proposition and a term; everyone takes that for granted, and in
fact probably more than one term, and more than one proposition. The issue
is whether the original argument itself could be regarded as a term, and
likewise whether a proposition could be regarded as a term. This is
different from the idea of containing. We haven't been discussing whether
arguments contain propositions and terms, but whether an argument can
itself, just as the argument it is, be regarded as being itself a term in
some way? That's the issue which has been discussed.

Okay, now about some remarks you made about arguments and propositions. You
said "[t]he dynamical object of this argument is the reason why it is like
this, in nature, and also the common knowledge about this reason." I'm not
so sure about this. It seems to me the reason is expressed in the final
interpretant, unless by reason you mean efficient cause, and then it would
be the dynamical object. Also, the dynamical object will not be the common
knowledge about the reason. Knowledge is of the nature of an interpretant,
not the object. As for the immediate object being an idea, the 'why it is
like this', conveyed by the sign, I don't think there is necessarily a
'why' expressed in the immediate object; in general, I'm not sure there
ever is such a case.

You also said the proposition is formed by abduction, induction, and
deduction, but this isn't quite right. It was probably 'formed' by an
abduction. If we want to get clearer about what it means, we would submit
it to deduction. If we wanted to put it to experimental test, we would
submit it to induction, once we had a clear enough understanding of what it
means in practice.

You said: "It for instance has to contain a term of conclusion like "so" or
"therefore". So an argument contains a term." Okay, this is not what is
meant by a 'term'. A term is either a predicate or a subject of a
proposition. It is the name of a class. That is the sense in which term is
meant in the discussion that has taken place. "So" or "therefore" would
indicate a conditional relation, which is not a term, but something that
can be applied to terms.

You said: "In the other thread it was about the question, whether every
sign contains inference, yes, because you can tell eg. that a sign is not
an argument, when it is a string of letters without a spacing. Then it is a
word, which cannot be an argument, and this consideration is a deduction."
I think this is a rather weak line of reasoning, and is largely due to your
misunderstanding of the issue at hand and the terms of the discussion.
While strings of letters and spaces and such might be of interest to
someone working in, say, symbolic logic, and the discussion of well-formed
formulas, it's not really relevant in the semiotic theory of logic. Besides
this, the idea of all signs having the form of inference is not that we
infer that some script objects written on a page without spacing is a
particular kind of sign, but that the sign itself is an inference of some
kind. That is, not that we infer that a set of script objects is a word,
but the word itself, qua sign, contains inference in itself. Well, this is
true of arguments and propositions, easily enough. Whether this is true of
all signs, I think it might depend on how one thinks of it. Since any sign
mediates between an object and an interpretant, there is a sense in which
understanding or interpreting a sign leads one to infer the object.

Okay, perhaps I could somehow go through and comment on something else, but
that's enough for now, I need a break for a bit. I hope what I have said
has been helpful.

-- Franklin

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Helmut Raulien <h.raul...@gmx.de> wrote:

> [...]
>> dictionary, and secondary literature, but I agree, that I should read more
>> before taking part here in the future. Just now, to what I have meant by
>> this second kind of dynamical object: It is the sign class, which the sign
>> belongs to, and therefore a concept outside of the sign. "externalized,
>> objectivated" is confusing, I agree. I meant something like
>> self-representation of the sign, like: "I am an argument", which is a
>> proposition, and "argument" or "proposition", which are terms. I took
>> "proposition" synonymous with "dicent", and "term" with "rheme", so the
>> talk about sign classes. It was all about the sign identifying itself as a
>> special kind of sign, nothing Hegelian. So- see you later, when I will have
>> read much more by Peirce.
>> Best,
>> Helmut
>>
>> 14. November 2015 um 04:10 Uhr
>>  "Franklin Ransom" <pragmaticist.lo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Helmut,
>>
>> I'm sorry, I don't think I can help you here. What you have said is
>> partly rather vague, and partly rather confusing. You mention both "the
>> dynamical object concerning an external meaning" and "[t]he dynamical
>> object there is not the external meaning, but the sign itself,
>> externalized/objectivated from itself." I don't know what it means that the
>> sign is externalized from itself, and I'm not sure if you think there is an
>> object that is independent of the sign (which is what the dynamical object
>> is supposed to be, at least in CSP's theory; maybe not in yours?). I'd
>> almost guess that you are attempting some sort of Hegelian dialectic here,
>> but I don't know much about that stuff, and am not particularly interested
>> in it. Moreover, I am somewhat unclear as to whether you are interested in
>> discussing Peirce's work. If you might oblige, would you be able to say how
>> acquainted you are with CSP's writings? Perhaps we could begin from there,
>> starting with what you already understand so that we can find a common
>> ground for discussing these ideas.
>>
>> -- Franklin

>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Helmut Raulien <h.raul...@gmx.de>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Franklin, Gary, list,
>>> I guess that a sign has an outside respect (of the dynamical object
>>> concerning an external meaning) and an inside (self, eigen) respect of what
>>> kind of sign it is, which class it belongs to. The dynamical object there
>>> is not the external meaning, but the sign itself, externalized /
>>> objectivated from itself to make itself understandable. An argument
>>> transports the outside respect with its argumentative character, and the
>>> inside respect with its proposition- and term- character. I have written
>>> such a thing before about legi-, sin- and qualisign, it is a bit crude,
>>> just a guess, maybe you can do something with it, maybe Im wrong, I dont
>>> know, you tell. I do not want to confuse anybody.
>>> Helmut