Matt, Gary F, Edwina, John, lists,

(*1*)  As the following quote from Peirce retrieved from
http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/rsources/76DEFS/76defs.HTM shows, Peirce's
sign is BOTH DYADIC and TRIADIC, depending on which aspect of the sign is
prescinded.

In other words,  Peirce uses the word "sign" in two ways ---

(i) as "anything" which has a "dyadic relation Þ" to B or object, and

(ii) as "anything" which is "in a triadic relation . . . such as to
determine C (i.e., interpretant; my addition) to be in a dyadic relation µ,
to B".

*30 - 1905 - SS. pp. 192-193 - Letter to Lady Welby (Draft) presumably July
1905 .*

"So then anything (generally in a mathematical sense) is a priman (not a
priman element generally) and we might define a sign as follows:

A "sign" is anything, A, which,

(1) in addition to other characters of its own,

(2) stands in a dyadic relation Þ, to a purely active correlate, B,

(3) and is also in a triadic relation to B for a purely passive correlate,
C, this triadic relation being such as to determine C to be in a dyadic
relation, µ, to B, the relation µ corresponding in a recognized way to the
relation Þ."

(*2*)  In the above quote, Peirce defines three relations:

(i) the dyadic relation between sign and object (i.e., A and B) DESIGNATED
AS Þ,
(ii) the triadic relation between  A and B mediated by C (i.e., A and B
through C) WITHOUT ANY SYMBOLIC DESIGNATION.
(iii) the dyadic relation between interpretant and object (i.e., C and B)
DESIGNATED as µ.

What is missing here is that Peirce did not mention explicitly the dyadic
relation between sign and interpretant that must exist.  This gap becomes
clear when we represent the above definition of sign diagrammatically as
shown in Figure 1 below. To fill up this gap, I took the liberty of using
the letter "g" (from gap) as shown in the diagram:

                          Þ                         g
              B --------------> A ----------------> C
        (Object)               (*sign*)              (Interpretant)
              |                                                      ^
              |                                                      |
              |___________________________|

Figure 1.  A diagrammatic representation of Peirce's triadic *Sign*.
                Þ = sign production
                g = sign interpretation
                µ = sign grounding

(*3*) I recommend, in agreement with Edwina, that we,  as a semiotic
community, adopt the convention of designating with "sign" the DYADIC
relations between sign and object and between sign and interpretant and
designating with "Sign' the TRIADIC relation between "sign" and object
mediated by interpretant.

HAPPY THANKS GIVING !

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 1:37 AM, Matt Faunce <mattfau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This was bugging me, so I went searching. The first place I saw 'sign'
> denoting a triad was not by Peirce, but by Cornelis de Waal, pg. 79 of
> Peirce, A Guide for the Perplexed, in the first paragraph: "The sign is a
> genuine triad--one that cannot be reduced to a combination of dyads."
>
> In the Collected Papers Peirce's use of a triadic sign is rare, but here
> are two examples:
>
> CP 8.305: "I shall show that a Concept is a Sign and shall define a Sign
> and show its triadic form."
>
> 6.344: "Signs, the only things with which a human being can, without
> derogation, consent to have any transaction, being a sign himself, are
> triadic; since a sign denotes a subject, and signifies a form of fact,
> which latter it brings into connexion with the former."
>
> Matt
>
> On 11/26/15 12:49 AM, John Collier wrote:
>
> I don’t have quotes handy, but I am pretty sure that Peirce uses “sign” in
> both ways. This caused me some problems in the past in applying his ideas
> to biosemiotics and other non-mental phenomena until I realized he was
> using the term in more than one way. I think if one is careful about the
> context it is possible to select which usage Peirce makes in each case.
>

> John Collier
>
> Professor Emeritus, UKZN
>
> http://web.ncf.ca/collier

Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701