> On Nov 30, 2015, at 2:33 PM, Jeffrey Brian Downard <jeffrey.down...@nau.edu>
> wrote:
>
> The idea that one sign may be dominant is nicely highlighted in Peirce's
> discussion of focusing attention on one thing and letting others fade into
> the background.  This ability to focus one's attention is, on Peirce's
> account, central to the explanation of how we can exert some degree of self
> control as we interpret signs as thoughts.  The index serves the function of
> directing the attention on one or another object (CP 1.369, 2.256, 2.259,
> 2.350, 2.428,, 3.434, 4.562, etc.).

Which has some echoes of Husserl’s bracketing. (I’m not saying Peirce is
anything like a Husserlian phenomenologist because I don’t think he is)
Heidegger’s notion of distance or how phenomena disappears is also interesting.
Although of course this is a common phenomena we all encounter as objects
disappear as we use them. My favorite example is using a mouse to control the
pointer on the screen - at a certain point the mouse disappears as phenomena
any we just perceive moving the cursor. Until the ball becomes dirty - the part
of the example that sadly makes no sense to anyone anymore. So they can’t see
how equipment breakdown makes us perceive the objects that had previously
disappeared.

I vaguely recall a discussion related to this back when we were doing a close
reading of Fredrick’s book on natural signs last year.