All I can say, Jerry, is to read it more carefully. There are no
contradictions, so you must be misreading what I said. I have no idea why you
relate what I said to Tarski’s views, with which I am quite familiar. The move
that I think lies behind the connection between the triadic relations of the
sign and the relations that I think Edwina is talking about is hypostatic
abstraction, which is a technical device for reinterpreting a property as a
relation. Other than that, I was trying to get how the two implied relations to
the representamen become three, and it seemed to me that that the third is on a
more abstract level, a relation of relations, again, and perhaps even more
obviously if I am right about that, though Edwina seems to differ than the
relations it relates. The third relation I am referring to seems to me to be
the relation between the object the interpretant. The object and interpretant
are properties (despite the grammatical nominatives used to refer to them),
which are turned into relations by the abstraction, which is a standard method
for understanding things, especially for semiotic vehicles, in Peirce’s work.
Taken this way there is a sense in which I am suggesting that it is “meta”, but
so are the relations related, as they also are grasped through hypostatic
abstraction. If there is an apparent inconsistency I am pretty sure that it
arise from not understanding and being able to recognize hypostatic
abstraction, and confusing the way in which something is picked out with its
essential nature. The same thing can be both a property and a relation,
depending on how we look at it. This is not possible to represent in the
language of first order logic due to its formal limitations. Second order logic
makes the possible, e.g., in the Ramsification of theories (which basically
replaces properties with relational structures). Ramsey tried to get a logic
grounded solely in relations, but he was unsuccessful. I have little hope of
doing what Ramsey failed to do despite his being one of the most insightful
logicians of the first half of the last century, so I did not try, and I won’t
try now, either. But I will say that Peirce’s hypostatic abstraction is
probably the key. Tarski’s satisfaction notion of truth, though it fits nicely
with Ramsey’s work on the nature of theories and their reference, doesn’t need
hypostatic abstraction to be stated. “Snow is white” is true if and only if
snow is white involves only properties. Unless, like Frege, one thinks that to
be true is a relation between a proposition and the True, which goes a good
deal further, and may involve hypostatic abstraction. But it is late and I am
not going to think that through right now.

John Collier
Professor Emeritus, UKZN
http://web.ncf.ca/collier