From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 29 December 2015 5:28 AM
To: Edwina Taborsky; peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] RE: signs, correlates, and triadic relations -
meta-languages and propositions of triadicity

Edwina, List:

Is it not the case, at least according to Peirce, that the interpretant-object
relation is necessarily the same as the representamen-object relation?  If so,
then there is no need for a separate trichotomy to characterize it.

"A Sign, or Representamen, is a First which stands in such a genuine triadic
relation to a Second, called its Object, as to be capable of determining a
Third, called its Interpretant, to assume the same triadic relation to its
Object in which it stands itself to the same Object.  The triadic relation is
genuine, that is, its three members are bound together by it in a way that does
not consist in any complexus of dyadic relations.  That is the reason that the
Interpretant, or Third, cannot stand in a mere dyadic relation to the Object,
but must stand in such a relation to it as the Representamen itself does."
(EP2:272-273)

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt<http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt<http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Edwina Taborsky