OK, Robert. That puts a somewhat different light on it, since the issue is then
an empirical one rather than the conceptual relations. I was mostly addressing
the latter issue. (As was Frederik, I think.)

It is certainly possible that the same brain processes could be involved in
more than one function, depending on how they are connected to other brain
areas that might serve different functions, or to external factors that govern
functions. My understanding is that syntactic and semantic functions interact,
but are distinguished by different brain processes. That doesn’t mean that
there might not be a common area that actually carries out the process of both
coupling and merging, and then feeds them back to the relevant divergent
functional regions for further processing. Chomsky and his colleagues in their
recent work argue for the convergence of a number of different processes in
syntax, but the most significant for its power is recursion, which underlies
the merge function in particular. They argue that this function is especially
general in humans, but not other animals, and there is a lot of experimental
evidence for this (but based on behaviour, not brain studies). It might well be
that the RAS plays an essential role here for recursion in general, whether
semantic or syntactic (also tool use). I don’t know of any studies, though,
that would make the RAS function in recursion show the right sort of activity
and structure to explain the human capacity for recursion. One worry I have is
that tool use also requires recursion, and some birds show this ability, even
showing planning of tool use (in corvids in particular). This has led me to
suspect that an old hypothesis that language capacity has an evolutionary
origin in tool use might have something to it. However I know little about the
equivalent of the RAS in corvids, if any. Their forebrains are quite different
from ours and  our close relatives that also use tools.

Again, more to untangle here, but it seems to me that the conceptual issues and
the brain structure and function issues are at least partially independent.
Your hypothesis might be correct, but still not tell us very much about the
functions involved and their relations to each other.

John Collier
Professor Emeritus and Senior Research Associate
University of KwaZulu-Natal
http://web.ncf.ca/collier