From: Tom Gollier [mailto:tgoll...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 18 March 2016 3:26 AM
To: Peirce List
Subject: Fwd: [PEIRCE-L] Re: Abduction, Deduction, Induction : Analogy, Inquiry

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tom Gollier <tgoll...@gmail.com<mailto:tgoll...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 6:25 PM
To: Jon Awbrey <jawb...@att.net<mailto:jawb...@att.net>>

Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

If we take "object" in sense of an objective, why isn't "avoiding rain" the
object?  I really don't see how "rain" gets to be the object in either sense of
"object".

As for "coolness" being a sign of impending rain, that it is, but only within
the context of a diagrammatic understanding of the "weather in Chicago".  Other
signs also function within such a sign/diagram — "cloudiness" for example.
And, of course, the diagram/sign being employed could vary in complexity from
something created in terms of temperature gradients, continental air masses,
and such as that to one consisting of a couple of rules of thumb.

In short, I'm not arguing there is no an object-sign-interpretant where
"coolness" is the sign, but:

1. I would interpret this as: what is being felt (object), "coolness" (sign),
and "rain" (interpretant),

2. And, this object-sign-interpretant is just one relationship within the
diagram/sign, "weather in Chicago," that would, it seems to me, more clearly
correspond with the situation being described.

Tom