Dear list:

Stephen:

I see you.  I recognize you.  I hear your complaint.

Jon:

You said:

As was clear from the context of that remark, I was referring specifically
to the dispute between Edwina and me.  Rather than taking her word or mine
for it, everyone should read Peirce for themselves and draw their own
conclusions about whether her posts reflect a valid interpretation of his
writings or an objectively different analytic framework from his.

I gather from this remark that you are still more interested in being
proved correct than whether the argument is to be decided for its own
sake.

You said:

At this point, Edwina and I are evidently both quite satisfied with our
respective positions, and thus would require something more than paper
doubt in order to reconsider them seriously.

So, you have no more to add to your arguments and therefore, are prepared
to walk away because all you see is more disputation.  I get it.  Why keep
talking when all that’s happening is talking.

You said:

If you see a way forward that would resolve the impasse, *I suggest that
you spell it out for us*.

I would ask you to look at your above comment next to:

*So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep
us in suspense? If you are* *the Christ, tell us plainly.”*

*Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe… I and the Father
are one.”  **The Jews picked up stones again to stone him.*

*Jesus answered them, **“I have shown you many good works from the Father;
for which of them are you going to stone me?” …*

*…If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me;* *but
if I do them,* *even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that
you may know and understand that* *the Father is in me and I am in the
Father.”  *

*Again they sought to arrest him, but he escaped from their hands.*

~John 10:24-38

MENO: *When you have told me what I ask, I will tell you*, Socrates.

SOCRATES: A man who was blindfolded has only to hear you talking, and he
would know that you are a fair creature and have still many lovers.

MENO: Why do you think so?

SOCRATES: Why, because you always speak in imperatives: like all beauties
when they are in their prime, you are tyrannical...

MENO: That, Socrates, appears to me to be an admirable answer.

SOCRATES: Why, yes, because it *happens to be one which you have been in
the habit of hearing*: and your wit will have discovered, I suspect, that
you may explain in the same way the nature of sound and smell, and of many
other similar phenomena.

_______

That is, how many times and in how many different ways must I ask you to
look to CP 5.189?  More importantly, you must first decide if that is the
normative form.  If it is the normative form, then cede authority to it.
Look to it for answers rather than stating your position repeatedly, for it
is clear from your ongoing disputations that there is something to his
philosophy that is missing from your perspective.  Either that or we are
all fools.

Hth,
Jerry R