Jon, list - Yes, we've been over a few things before, including your view that
Peirce rejected his earlier writings within his later writings. I disagree with
this view. I disagree that he spent the 'next two decades' essentially revising
and refining; his categories - which you seem to have problems with - are, in
my view, never rejected and never abandoned.

I have said that I can't explain his NA - and note that in it, he did NOT
reject his self-generated universe of 1.412.  It is NOT obvious that Peirce
found a self-generated universe unsatisfactory and instead opted for a
non-immanent metaphysical agential creator. He doesn't say this; he doesn't
reject the self-generating forces nor the three categories.

Again, I've said that for both of us, our basic beliefs affect our readings of
Peirce. You are, openly and thoroughly, a theist. I am, openly and thoroughly,
an atheist. Therefore - you reject 1.412, while I accept it.

I totally disagree with you that 'god' does not require an explanation for one
MUST ask: 'where did God come from'? I consider that it DOES require an
explanation. The scholastics tried to get around this requirement with their
'well, something perfect doesn't require an origin; it is perfect because it is
perfect because....etc.  I don't find that acceptable.

Therefore - the questions of the origin of the three categories - is equally
'ens necessarium'. Peirce himself defines them as fundamental and necessary.
And as for the original energy without mass -  it is equally fundamental and
necessary.

Again - I do wish that you would see my point. BOTH views are beliefs and BOTH
are empirically unprovable. Therefore - which one you choose to accept -
depends on which belief you find most satisfactory. I find Peirce's 1.412 most
satisfactory - and that's where it ends.

Edwina