Gary R, Jon, list:

The problem is, Gary, that you and Jon are both theists and both of you reject
the 'Big Bang'. I am an atheist and support the 'Big Bang'. Therefore, both
sides in this debate select sections from Peirce to which we feel compatible.
Yet - as I keep saying, both views are empirically outside of any possibility
of proof or TRUTH. You either believe in one OR the other [or some other
theory].

You try to substantiate that Peirce followed the same view as yours by defining
his 'earlier work' as something that he moved away from and rejected. I don't
see any evidence of this. I admit that I can't explain the NA - and I don't
even attempt to do so - but - I don't find any evidence of Peirce rejecting the
1.412 argument - and other arguments about the self-organization and evolution
of the universe [tychasm, agapasm].

I consider that his 'ens necessarium' are the three categories. Jon seems to
think that Peirce moved away from them. I don't see this.

Then, both your and Jon's view of the primal role of Thirdness [that continuum]
is something that I remain very sceptical of - for i consider that all three
categories are 'primal'.

So- we have lots of disagreements. BUT - on the issue of the origin of the
universe, as I keep saying, the selection of one OR the other view is a matter
of BELIEF. Not proof. And to declare that Peirce took the theist view because
he wrote it later....is not, to me, a strong argument. I don't think it is a
matter of logic or fact that 'later writings are more truthful theories'. So -
as I also keep saying, I don't think that there is a resolution to this
particular debate. I certainly have no intention of suggesting that you and Jon
stop believing in God and rejecting the BigBang!!!

Edwina