Dear list:

I thought the point of pragmaticism was simply to make meanings clear.

“Now there are *three grades of clearness in our apprehensions of the
meanings* of words.

The first consists in the connexion of the word with familiar experience…

The second grade consists in the abstract definition, depending upon an
analysis of just what it is that makes the word applicable...

The third grade of clearness consists in such a representation of the idea
that *fruitful* reasoning can be made to turn upon it, and that it can be
applied to the resolution of difficult practical problems...

The best treatment of the logic of relatives, as I contend, will dispense
altogether with class names and only use such verbs. A verb requiring an
object or objects to complete the sense may be called a *complete relative*.

A verb by itself signifies a mere dream, an imagination unattached to any
particular occasion. It calls up in the mind an *icon*.

A *relative* is just that, an icon, or image, without attachments to
experience, without "a local habitation and a name," but with indications
of the need of such attachments…”

~ Peirce, *The Logic of Relatives*

Hth,

Jerry R