> On Nov 23, 2016, at 3:29 PM, Gary Richmond <gary.richm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The context for Peirce thinking about democracy and political economy are
> obviously his religious ideas. Central concepts in this context are love and
> greed/ altruism and egoism. This brings immediatly Aristoteles classification
> of forms of government to my mind (Pol. III, 6 f.).

I’d imagine the interesting question regarding democracy is how it relates to
societal inquiry. That is the more interesting question is less the boundaries
of democracy as compared to competing institutions than the different types of
governments within democracy. An obvious example is top down type governance
verses bottom up or emergent government. The former tends to be what
progressivism embraces (either the early 20th century Bismarkian inspired form
or the more contemporary form) whereas in theory conservatism embraces the
later. This also gets at the issue of federalism (which given Trump some
liberals are starting to embrace).