From talking with colleagues, some say they think only in words and others,
like me, say they think mostly in diagrams or in physical feelings that I
attach no words to (and probably couldn’t in many cases). Although I am
surprised when I find someone who believes they think in words only, I have
little reason to doubt them, as it seems these people also think quite
differently from me. One of the hardest things for me in learning analytic
philosophy (after original training and work in physics) was to think in words.
Dick Cartwright helped me immensely with this.

Surely it is a psychological issue, if people differ so much in this respect.

John Collier
Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Associate
Philosophy, University of KwaZulu-Natal
http://web.ncf.ca/collier

From: Benjamin Udell [mailto:baud...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 15 February 2017 8:16 PM
To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Nominalism vs. Realism -

Eric, none of the statements that you quoted in your 2/14/2017 message
originate with Peirce.

Peirce held that logic generally involves icons (including diagrams and not
only graphic-looking ones), indices, and symbols, and he saw all three kinds of
signs as needed. Remember also that Peirce so defined 'symbol' that plenty of
symbols are not words and some words are not symbols.

You wrote in your subsequent message:

One can also find people with limited brain damage who (by all evidence) have
lost their ability to coherently verbalize (i.e., they cannot do language), and
yet those people otherwise seem to think perfectly well.

I remember a course on Merleau-Ponty decades ago in which the professor
discussed patients who could no longer think about absent things. He said that
they had lost their "symbolic function" - taking "symbol" in an old traditional
sense as sign of something not perceived, especially something not perceivable,
picturable, etc. I can't say off-hand whether those patients had completely
lost their ability to think in symbols in Peirce's sense.

I don't know whether Peirce held that actual people usually think in words or
in any particular kind of signs, and what basis he would have offered for the
claim; anyway it wouldn't be a philosophical statement, but a psychological
statement, and Peirce was as adverse to basing cenoscopic philosophy (including
philosophical logic) on psychology as he was to to basing pure mathematics on
psychology. When he discusses semiotics and logic, he is discussing how one
ought to think, not how people actually do think.

Peirce said of himself:

I do not think that I ever _reflect_ in words. I employ visual diagrams,
firstly because this way of thinking is my natural language of
self-communication, and secondly, because I am convinced that it is the best
system for the purpose
[MS 629, p. 8, quoted in _The Existential Graphs of Charles S. Peirce_, p. 126,
by Don D. Roberts]

Google preview:
https://books.google.com/books?id=Q4K30wCAf-gC&pg=PA126&lpg=PA126&dq=%22I+do+not+think+I+ever+reflect+in+words:+I+employ+visual+diagrams%22

Peirce described corollarial deduction as verbal and philosophical, and
theorematic deduction as diagrammatic and mathematical. He seemed to have a
higher opinion of the latter, which is not unusual for a mathematician.

Peirce left innumerable drawings among his papers. I somewhere read that a
considerable percentage of his papers consisted in drawings, I seem to remember
"60%" but I'm not sure. A project involving those drawings (and accumulating an
archive of reproductions ofthem) resulted in the publication of a book:

http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/newbooks.htm#engel_queisner_viola<http://www.iupui.edu/%7Earisbe/newbooks.htm#engel_queisner_viola>

Das bildnerische Denken: Charles S. Peirce.  [Visual Thinking: Charles S.
Peirce].Actus et Imago Volume 5. Editors: Franz Engel, Moritz Queisner, Tullio
Viola. Berlin: Akademie Verlag, March 21, 2012. Hardcover
http://www.degruyter.com/view/product/224194
346 pages., 82 illustrations in black & white, 31 illustrations in color.

Peirce, as you say, often focuses on clear thought, but he sometimes discusses
vague thought, and says that vagueness is often needed for thought. For example
in his critical common-sensism.

Peirce thought that there are logical conceptions of mind based not on
empirical science of psychology nor even on metaphysics. See for example Memoir
11 "On the Logical Conception of Mind" in the 1902 Carnegie Application:

http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/bycsp/l75/ver1/l75v1-05.htm<http://www.iupui.edu/%7Earisbe/menu/library/bycsp/l75/ver1/l75v1-05.htm>

As to how linguistic people actually are or how linguistic one needs or ought
to be, that will depend at least partly on the definition of language. In the
quote of him above, Peirce uses the word "language" more loosely than some
would.

Best, Ben