Eric, this excerpt from my book (http://www.gnusystems.ca/TS/cls.htm#3thought)
may be helpful in adapting to Peirce’s usage of the word “thought”:

Gary f.

Peirce's concept of thought is both broader and deeper than the common usage of
the word.

Peirce wrote to William James in 1902 that ‘one must not take a nominalistic
view of Thought as if it were something that a man had in his consciousness.
Consciousness may mean any one of the three categories. But if it is to mean
Thought it is more without us than within. It is we that are in it, rather than
it in any of us’ (CP 8.256; we will look further into ‘nominalism’ in Chapter
12). Thought is thus the formal component of the Big Current, not merely the
little current of someone's private stream of consciousness. We often call that
inner stream ‘thinking,’ and sometimes call it ‘thought,’ in the sense defined
by the Century Dictionary as the ‘subjective element of intellectual activity.’
But the specifically Peircean sense (often marked by his capitalization of the
word) is defined in the  <http://www.gnusystems.ca/Peirce.htm#Century> CD as
‘the objective element of the intellectual product’ of thinking. To illustrate
this exact sense of the word in the CD, Peirce cited the following quotation:

[[Thought is, in every case, the cognition of an object, which really,
actually, existentially out of thought, is ideally, intellectually,
intelligibly within it; and just because within in the latter sense, is it
known as actually without in the former.]]

— G.J. Stokes, The Objectivity of Truth (1884), p. 53

Here ‘cognition’ appears as a self-bounding process, so that it has an inside
and an outside. Indeed we can take Stokes' sentence as equivalent to the
proposition that the world is inside out. The causal reciprocity between the
intelligence and the reality external to it, considered as different things, is
essential to cognition as a teleodynamic process (defined above
<http://www.gnusystems.ca/TS/cls.htm#teleod> ). Deacon emphasizes this by
contrasting cognition with computation (the italics are his):

[[computation only transfers extrinsically imposed constraints from substrate
to substrate, while cognition (semiosis) generates intrinsic constraints that
have a capacity to propagate and self-organize. The difference between
computation and mind is a difference in the source of these formal properties.
In computation, the critical formal properties are descriptive distinctions
based on the selected features of a given mechanism. In cognition, they are
distinctive regularities which are generated by recursive dynamics, and which
progressively amplify and propagate constraints to other regions of the nervous
system.]] — Deacon 2011, 498

This of course refers to the dialogue within the brain, which for a symbolic
species like ourselves is continuously informed (constrained) by participation
in the dialogue which constitutes the community of minds. Thoughts uttered and
interpreted in that dialogue also propagate constraints (information) from mind
to mind, body to body and brain to brain through the circular causality of the
meaning cycle. This is possible because thought has generality: the same
thought can be shared by many people in many situations, just as a single law
of nature governs (regulates) a whole range of events. It is, as Gregory
Bateson (1979, 8) put it, the ‘pattern that connects.’

[[ Thirdness is found wherever one thing brings about a Secondness
<http://www.gnusystems.ca/TS/ldm.htm#bring2>  between two things. In all such
cases, it will be found that Thought plays a part. By thought is meant
something like the meaning of a word, which may be “embodied in,” that is, may
govern, this or that, but is not confined to any existent. Thought is often
supposed to be something in consciousness; but on the contrary, it is
impossible ever actually to be directly conscious of thought. It is something
to which consciousness may conform, as a writing may conform to it. Thought is
rather of the nature of a habit, which determines the suchness of that which
may come into existence, when it does come into existence. Of such a habit one
may be conscious of a symptom; but to speak of being directly conscious of a
habit, as such, is nonsense.]] — Peirce, EP2:269