Jeff and Gary,

JBD
I'm wondering if anyone can explain in greater detail what Peirce
is suggesting in this passage in making the comparison between the
atomic weight of oxygen and the continuity of Time

GF
I think the claim is that our experience of time is the prototype
for all conceptions of a perfect continuum. The analogy with atomic
weight is misleading if we think of time as a metrical space. Rather
time is a continuum because there are no points in real time (as
opposed to representations of ‘distance’ between events), and that
pointlessness is the ‘essence’ of continuity, so to speak.

I agree with Gary.  CSP is trying to break the circular definition
by taking one concept as the standard and defining the others in
terms of it.  Note the term in italics:

CSP
Now if my definition of continuity involves the notion of immediate
connection, and my definition of immediate connection involves the
notion of time; and the notion of time involves that of continuity,
I am falling into a /circulus in definiendo/.  But on analyzing
carefully the idea of Time, I find that to say it is continuous is
just like saying that the atomic weight of oxygen is 16, meaning
that that shall be the standard for all other atomic weights. The
one asserts no more of Time than the other asserts concerning the
atomic weight of oxygen; that is, just nothing at all.

For more discussion about Peirce's notion of continuity, see
the introduction to RLT by Ketner & Putnam.  Cantor, like Zeno,
assumed that a continuous time interval is identical to a set
of time points.  That assumption led to Zeno's paradox.

Aristotle's solution to Zeno's paradox is to assume that the proper
parts of a continuous line are shorter line segments.  Points are
not parts of a line, but markers on a line.

Peirce adopted Aristotle's solution.  But then he took a further
step by saying that you could have infinitesimal markers on a line.
But all those markers are purely imaginary, since you could never
observe them or draw them in actuality.  Once you add infinitesimal
markers, there is no stopping point, since you can keep imagining
(or postulating) infinitely many orders of imaginary infinitesimals.