Gary f.

From: Jeffrey Brian Downard [mailto:jeffrey.down...@nau.edu]
Sent: 23-Feb-17 04:39

Ben, Gary F, Jon S, List,

Thanks to Ben for reminding me that Matthew provides some comments about
this addendum in his collection, and also to Gary F. for supplying the
relevant passage. I'd like to respond to a concern that Matthew raises about
the way Peirce is explaining what he is trying to accomplish:  "It is
perhaps an ominous sign that Peirce devotes too much space to what appears
to be a somewhat manufactured objection: since he does not explain what he
means by `immediate connection,' it would hardly have occurred to the reader
that time was bound up with such connection, had Peirce himself not brought
it up."

Here is a hypothesis that Peirce puts forward in "A Guess at the Riddle"
about the real nature of time as it first evolved in the cosmos:

Our conceptions of the first stages of the development, before time yet
existed, must be as vague and figurative as the expressions of the first
chapter of Genesis. Out of the womb of indeterminacy we must say that there
would have come something, by the principle of Firstness, which we may call
a flash. Then by the principle of habit there would have been a second
flash. Though time would not yet have been, this second flash was in some
sense after the first, because resulting from it. Then there would have come
other successions ever more and more closely connected, the habits and the
tendency to take them ever strengthening themselves, until the events would
have been bound together into something like a continuous flow. We have no
reason to think that even now time is quite perfectly continuous and uniform
in its flow. The quasi-flow which would result would, however, differ
essentially from time in this respect, that it would not necessarily be in a
single stream. Different flashes might start different streams, between
which there should be no relations of contemporaneity or succession. So one
stream might branch into two, or two might coalesce. But the further result
of habit would inevitably be to separate utterly those that were long
separated, and to make those which presented frequent common points coalesce
into perfect union. Those that were completely separated would be so many
different worlds which would know nothing of one another; so that the effect
would be just what we actually observe.

But Secondness is of two types. Consequently besides flashes genuinely
second to others, so as to come after them, there will be pairs of flashes,
or, since time is now supposed to be developed, we had better say pairs of
states, which are reciprocally second, each member of the pair to the other.
This is the first germ of spatial extension. These states will undergo
changes; and habits will be formed of passing from certain states to certain
others, and of not passing from certain states to certain others. Those
states to which a state will immediately pass will be adjacent to it; and
thus habits will be formed which will constitute a spatial continuum, but
differing from our space by being very irregular in its connections, having
one number of dimensions in one place and another number in another place,
and being different for one moving state from what it is for another.

Pairs of states will also begin to take habits, and thus each state having
different habits with reference to the different other states will give rise
to bundles of habits, which will be substances. Some of these states will
chance to take habits of persistency, and will get to be less and less
liable to disappear; while those that fail to take such habits will fall out
of existence. Thus, substances will get to be permanent.

In fact, habits, from the mode of their formation, necessarily consist in
the permanence of some relation, and therefore, on this theory, each law of
nature would consist in some permanence, such as the permanence of mass,
momentum, and energy. In this respect, the theory suits the facts admirably.

The substances carrying their habits with them in their motions through
space will tend to render the different parts of space alike. Thus, the
dimensionality of space will tend gradually to uniformity; and multiple
connections, except at infinity, where substances never go, will be
obliterated. At the outset, the connections of space were probably different
for one substance and part of a substance from what they were for another;
that is to say, points adjacent or near one another for the motions of one
body would not be so for another; and this may possibly have contributed to
break substances into little pieces or atoms. But the mutual actions of
bodies would have tended to reduce their habits to uniformity in this
respect; and besides there must have arisen conflicts between the habits of
bodies and the habits of parts of space, which would never have ceased till
they were brought into conformity. (W, Vol. 6, 209-10; CP 1.412-416)

The idea that I find striking here is that Peirce is offering an explanation
of how things might occur simultaneously--at the same time but in two
different places--by suggesting that the habits governing such dyadic
relations evolved from the habits governing a different sort of dyadic
relation that is involved in ordered relations in time. He says: "Different
flashes might start different streams, between which there should be no
relations of contemporaneity or succession. So one stream might branch into
two, or two might coalesce. But the further result of habit would inevitably
be to separate utterly those that were long separated, and to make those
which presented frequent common points coalesce into perfect union." The
idea of "common points coalescing into a perfect union" would seem to be the
root of the idea of "immediate connection," would it not?

One thing I find particularly puzzling about the addendum is the rapidity
with which Peirce moves from more phenomenological points about our
experience of time to more metaphysical points about the real nature of time
and then back again. The key idea in making such a rapid movement back and
forth is to draw a contrast between our idea of time and the facts we seek
to explain by introducing and using such an idea.

How does the suggestion that time can function as a kind of standard for
measuring degrees of continuity akin to way that oxygen can serve as a
standard for the measurement of atomic weights help us to better understand
how the idea of time first arose as a hypothetical explanation of some sort
of surprising set of facts? The puzzling phenomena that are offered in the
example he provides are the disjointed experiences associated with looking
out of the window of a steamboat at night at the shore as the lightning
periodically illuminates scenes on the riverbank.

He claims that the surprising and apparently contradictory character of
phenomena we observe can be explained if we "suppose them to be mere
aspects, that is, relations to ourselves, and the phenomena are explained by
supposing our standpoint to be different in the different flashes."

The point of this illustration, I take it, is to help us see more clearly
what otherwise might be obscure in the newly amended conception of
continuity that he is trying to articulate. As such, how does the
illustration help to clarify how it is possible for a continuum to have room
for a denumeral multitude of points, or an abnumeral multitude, or any
multitude whatsoever? What might, from one point of view, appear to be
disjointed might, from another point of view, appear to be continuous-just
like the relations between the dimensions in space. From the perspective of
a person living on a one dimensional line, a point is a kind of
discontinuity.  Similarly, from the perspective of person living in a two
dimensional space, a one dimensional line appears as a kind of
discontinuity.and so on.

Having said that, it still isn't clear to me how the illustration helps to
clarify the puzzling features of the amendments he is making to the
conception of continuity. What is more, it isn't clear what role the point
about the continuity time being a sort of standard for measure is supposed
to play in the account.

The insights that seem to have prompted the revisions in his account of
continuity appear to have grown from reflections on the character of
cyclical systems and the light that such systems shed on the relations
between a perfect continuum and those that are imperfect. Following this
line of thought, I tend to think that the continuity of time can, on his
account, serve as a standard for measuring the degree to which different
sorts of systems are more or less perfect in their continuity. His point, I
take it, is that it doesn't really matter whether one or another thing (the
connections between the parts of space, the connections between shades of
the hue of a color, the connections between parts of time etc.) are entirely
perfect as continua. Instead, time is like oxygen in the scale of atomic
weights in that it supplies us with a sufficiently reliable standard that we
are thereby enabled to make relative comparisons--even if we don't (yet)
have an absolute standard.

Matthew makes a further remark to the effect that Peirce moves in this
addendum from an account of continuity that is based on the size of
collections to an account that is grounded on topological relations-and that
this seems to represent a dramatic shift in the way he is thinking about
continuity. The last lecture of RLT makes it clear, I think, that Peirce has
been reflecting in rather deep ways on the relationships between these two
different mathematical approaches to understanding different aspects of the
conception of continuity. By the time that he is writing the addendum, he
has been reflecting on the relationship between more arithmetic approaches
that start with what is discrete and more topological approaches that start
with what is continuous. As such, I tend to think that the insights that
sparked the revisions in the conception of continuity in the year that
intervened between the time that he received the proofs for the "First
Curiosity" of "Some Amazing Mazes" and the addendum might stem from
something that can been seen when one thinks about the topological character
of different systems of number--especially when one experiments with
diagrams involving cyclical systems.

My hunch is that Peirce was drawing on cyclical systems in his exploration
of different sorts of multitudes, and that he was thinking quite deeply
about the different sorts of formal relations (e.g., symmetries) that hold
between the different systems of numbers. In doing so, he was working in the
same spirit as contemporary topologists when they use what is called the
Farey diagram to explore the relations between the number systems of the
rationals, the reals, the imaginaries, etc. See, for example, Allen
Hatcher's The Topology of Numbers.

(https://www.math.cornell.edu/~hatcher/TN/TNbook.pdf_

Pursuing this line of thought further would take considerable time and
space, so I'll stop here.

--Jeff