From: Edwina Taborsky [mailto:tabor...@primus.ca]
Sent: Thursday, 30 March 2017 9:23 PM
To: John Collier <colli...@ukzn.ac.za>
Cc: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: RE: Re: Re: [PEIRCE-L] semantic problem with the term

John - thanks for the quotation.

I fully agree. The Peircean framework is irreducibly  triadic. As he writes,
"Every sign has an object" and it is "essential to the function of a sign that
it should determine an Interpretant".  Therefore - the sign is, even to exist
as such, triadic. It must have that object. And, to function as a sign [gosh -
does a sign FUNCTION?]...it must have an Interpretant. Otherwise - it isn't a
sign, even all by itself.

That's why I acknowledge the triad as a distinct entity [Sign] - because none
of these 'parts' exist 'per se' on their own, but only within the FUNCTION of
the triad.

This message is virus free, protected by Primus - Canada's
largest alternative telecommunications provider.

http://www.primus.ca

On Thu 30/03/17 11:59 AM , John Collier
colli...@ukzn.ac.za<mailto:colli...@ukzn.ac.za> sent:
I am not very keen on multiple universes, though I readily admit different
metaphysical categories. But I think any deep difference is just talk.