Three body problem is computable for any finite amount of time (like all
conservative systems). To get problems the end state must be reached in a
finite time. This can happen in dissipative systems.

There are many cases where you can’t even get approximate solutions, though you
can get probabilities of various solutions. For example, Mercury is in a 3/2
rotation to revolution rate around the Sun. It was expected to be 1:1 like the
Moon around the Earth. A bit of a surprise, since the 1-1 ratio is the lowest
energy one. However, everything near the 3/2 state is higher energy, so it is
stable. Now the interesting thig is that the boundaries between the attractors
are such that there are regions in which any two points in one attractor has a
point in the other attractor between them. So no degree of accuracy of
measurement can allow predicting which attractor the system is in. So Frances
Darwin’s explanation of why the Moon always faces the Earth is incomplete, and
can never be fully completed. There is about 50% likelihood of 1-1 capture, 33%
for 3-2 capture, and the rest take up the remaining chances. Note that the end
states aren’t just a little bit different, but a lot different. Things get much
more complicated in evolution and development, where more factors are involved.
I argue that information dissipation (e.g., through death eliminating genetic
information) works the same way. I first published on this as the first paper
in the journal Biology and Philosophy n 1986.

The main point is the problem is not one of our limited calculation capacity.
It holds in principle. Even Laplace’s demon, if they are like a regular
computer, but arbitrarily large, could not do the calculations. Basically,
there are far more functions that are not Turing computable than are, and many
of these give widely different possible solutions. It’s really just another
case of the number of theorems being aleph 1, but the number of possible proofs
is only aleph 0.

I call systems like the Mercury –Sun system reductively explainable, but not
reductive. Physicalism is not violated, but reduction is not possible. But we
can get a good idea of what is going on, after the fact (though our first guess
in the Mercury-Sun case was wrong).

Personally, I think all thirds are of this nature, which is why they can’t be
reduced to dyads. I have never found Pierce’s arguments convincing about the
irreducibility.

John