Jon S,

Thanks for noticing and fixing my typo (NDDR for NDTR) (I can’t blame that on
the youngster). The question you raise is an interesting one. When I wrote that
“the rheme/dicisign/argument trichotomy cannot be defined in terms of dyadic
relations,” I was reflecting on the fact that in NDTR at least, Peirce’s
definitions of those terms explicitly refer to the Object, and thus seem to
require mention of all three correlates, while the definitions of icon and
index, and perhaps symbol, require no mention of the third correlate. I say
“perhaps” in the case of the symbol because it “denotes by virtue of a law”
which “operates to cause the Symbol to be interpreted as referring to that
Object,” which does refer obliquely to the interpretant.” But the three
definitions of the third trichotomy refer directly to the object; “we may say
that a Rheme is a sign which is understood to represent its object in its
characters merely; that a Dicisign is a sign which is understood to represent
its object in respect to actual existence; and that an Argument is a Sign which
is understood to represent its Object in its character as Sign” (CP2:252).

Nevertheless, I wouldn’t say that it’s dead wrong to consider that third
trichotomy as being according to the dyadic Sign-Interpretant relation. Another
possibility is to consider it as being divided according to the dyadic relation
between the Interpretant and the Sign-Object relation. But I wouldn’t want to
be forced to choose among those options. As long as we know what we’re talking
about … (more or less) …

Gary f.