Gary f.

From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
Sent: 15-Apr-17 00:53

Gary F., List:

Jappy's first chapter purports to spell out Peirce's 1903 theory of signs
without any reference to his later writings, and it straightforwardly labels
the three trichotomies as S, S-O, and S-I.  From thumbing through the whole
book, it looks like it does not say anything about Marty's category-theoretic
approach that apparently took them to be S, S-O, and (S-O)-I.

However, in subsequently rereading CP 2.235-236, I noticed that it implied the
order of determination of the three correlates to be Third, Second, First;
i.e., Interpretant, Object, Sign.  This is why Hartshorne and Weiss suggested
in a footnote that Peirce must have mistakenly switched "First Correlate" and
"Third Correlate" in these two paragraphs.  While investigating this further, I
renewed my acquaintance with a 2000 Transactions article by Len Olsen, "On
Peirce's Systematic Division of Signs," that defends Peirce's text.

Olsen points out that Peirce actually defines three different ways of
categorically dividing genuine triadic relations--by each of the three
correlates (CP 2.238), by each of the three dyadic relations (CP 2.239), and by
how the First Correlate determines the Third in respect to the Second (CP
2.241).  Olsen then suggests--persuasively, I think--that the three 1903
trichotomies are obtained by following these distinct methods to divide
respectively the Sign itself, the Sign-Object relation, and how the Sign
determines the Interpretant in respect to the Object.

Jappy's overall thesis, which I brought up on the List several months ago after
reading a couple of his online papers, is that Peirce's entire theoretical
framework for Sign classification changed significantly after 1903.  I will be
interested to see whether and how Jappy maintains, modifies, or discards the
approach in NDTR based on Peirce's later writings.

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt <http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt>
- twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt <http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 4:39 PM, <g...@gnusystems.ca