Thanks, Jon, I had not seen that observation from Jappy before.

The operative phrase in what I wrote is “as a substitute for”.
We always have the task of classifying signs and classifying
objects but the problems arise when your favorite ism thinks
that half the work will do double duty.  It hardly ever does.

Dyadic forms of correspondence between syntactic structures
and objective functions are always nice when you can get them
and it's always worth taking advantage of them when they occur.
It would make things a whole lot simpler if the forms of signs
always mirrored the forms of their objects.  That is one of the
attractions of Fregean compositionality and Russell's isomorphism
theory and it's one of the reasons programming language designers
keep to the realm of context-free languages for as long as they can.
Taking the Chomsky–Schützenberger Hierarchy as our first rough guide
to the complexity of formal languages and the competencies demanded of
their processors, we run into a critical point at the threshold between
context-free and context-sensitive languages where the mirror of language
breaks and the triadic nature of genuine symbols can no longer be avoided.

Regards,

Jon