Conclusion of Lowell Lecture 1 (EP2:256-7):

The ultimate purpose of the logician is to make out the theory of how
knowledge is advanced. Just as there is a chemical theory of dyeing which is
not exactly the art of dyeing, and there is a theory of thermodynamics which
is quite different from the art of constructing heat-engines; so
Methodeutic, which is the last goal of logical study, is the theory of the
advancement of knowledge of all kinds. But this theory is not possible until
the logician has first examined all the different elementary modes of
getting at truth and especially all the different classes of arguments, and
has studied their properties so far as these properties concern [the] power
of the arguments as leading to the truth. This part of logic is called
Critic. But before it is possible to enter upon this business in any
rational way, the first thing that is necessary is to examine thoroughly all
the ways in which thought can be expressed. For since thought has no being
except in so far as it will be embodied, and since the embodiment of thought
is a sign, the business of logical critic cannot be undertaken until the
whole structure of signs, especially of general signs, has been thoroughly
investigated. This is substantially acknowledged by logicians of all
schools. But the different schools conceive of the business quite
differently. Many logicians conceive that the inquiry trenches largely upon
psychology, depends upon what has been observed about the human mind, and
would not necessarily be true for other minds. Much of what they say is
unquestionably false of many races of mankind. But I, for my part, take
little stock in a logic that is not valid for all minds, inasmuch as the
logicality of a given argument, as I have said, does not depend on how we
think that argument, but upon what the truth is. Other logicians endeavoring
to steer clear of psychology, as far as possible, think that this first
branch of logic must relate to the possibility of knowledge of the real
world and upon the sense in which it is true that the real world can be
known. This branch of philosophy, called epistemology, or Erkenntnislehre,
is necessarily largely metaphysical. But I, for my part, cannot for an
instant assent to the proposal to base logic upon metaphysics, inasmuch as I
fully agree with Aristotle, Duns Scotus, Kant, and all the profoundest
metaphysicians that metaphysics can, on the contrary, have no secure basis
except that which the science of logic affords. I, therefore, take a
position quite similar to that of the English logicians, beginning with
Scotus himself, in regarding this introductory part of logic as nothing but
an analysis of what kinds of signs are absolutely essential to the
embodiment of thought. I call it, after Scotus, Speculative Grammar. I fully
agree, however, with a portion of the English school,- a school I may
observe which now has a large and most influential and scientific following
in Germany,- I agree, I say, with a portion of this school without thereby
coming into positive conflict with the others, in thinking that this
Speculative Grammar ought not to confine its studies to those conventional
signs of which language is composed, but that it will do well to widen its
field of view so as to take into consideration also kinds of signs which,
not being conventional, are not of the nature of language. In fact, as a
point of theory, I am of opinion that we ought not to limit ourselves to
signs but ought to take account of certain objects more or less analogous to
signs. In practice, however, I have paid little attention to these
quasi-signs.

Thus there are, in my view of the subject, three branches of logic:
Speculative Grammar, Critic, and Methodeutic.

http://gnusystems.ca/Lowells.htm }{ Peirce's Lowell Lectures of 1903