Instead of doing a point by point explanation of what I mean, because they
diverge or at least rose up with no specific sense of Peirce, I will try to
say why I would write to this forum and not one on either Nietzsche of
Wittgenstein whom I regard as influences as well. Explicitly let me say
what I think at the word Peircean  I think of a man who filched food from
the Century Club -- a few blocks from where I write -- and made his way
down Fifth Avenue passing a block from where I live. I think of what I have
learned from accounts of his life, knowing these to be more or less the
case depending on the perception of the authors. My picture is of a man
unjustly but perhaps providentially given no quarter by Harvard and
generally unable to have a career save in the two areas where it was
possible. His measuring work. His writing. I think of someone whose
philosophy in its most available sense appeared in a popular magazine. I
suppose I feel some kinship because my mother's famlily settled in
Watertown at the time the Peirce family did. There is still a Mason walking
path from Cambridge to Watertown. I hold it in some importance that Peirce
was an American. I am not a hyper-patriot but I sort of see Dostoevsky and
Peirce as comparable figures who were tied to their countries in
interesting and important ways. None of this has much to do with what you
may mean by Peircean but they are the first things that come to mind. As to
what he thought I do not claim to know it. I have read a lot as I have read
a lot in mathematics but I am not able to claim that I understand any of
it. What Peirce did for me thoughtwise was open me not merely past dualism
but to the development of a method of thinking based on my sense not of
what he had in mind but what confirmed with what I think he might have
eventually had in mind. In the same way, I believe both Nietzsche and
Wittgenstein came close to the same place. All three of them in my sense of
them were post-Christians beyond the Bonhoeffer (accepting of violence and
in some ways rigidly orthodox) stage. Nietzsche may have completed his
promised revaluation with The Antichrist. That is a scholarly conundrum.
But one can infer from some things in the Antichrist that Nietzsche was
definitely not anti-Jesus and perhaps that he was confounded between his
own thought and what he saw in Jesus Wittgenstein was rather like Peirce in
his tendency to fly off the handle. He definitely knew himself to be
fallible. He also was a Tolstoyan Christian. I could go farther but I think
there can be no disputing that. And Peirce was definitely an American
version of Christian combining clear mystical encounters with an
undeveloped and clearly ambivalent criticism of the USA as a culture of
greed. To me,
 Peirce may be the most important of the three but not because he will
emerge as an academic replacement for whoever is being lionized this year
or next. It would be because it makes a huge difference whether the world
thinks in triadic terms or in binary terms. It is that difference which I
think can be adduced, inferred and perhaps deduced from some of what Peirce
has to say. It certainly was enough to furnish me with a basis for what I
have come to think on top of my own life which I find similar to that
Peirce in a few key respects, including the loss of a career and an
iconoclasm regarding much of the current moral code. This will be more than
you want to read but It is at least a chance to explain myself a bit. If
Peirce becomes the new Aristotle it will be because he had a similar
influence, not because of his involved modes of getting his thoughts out,
but because some form of triadic thinking will take root and steer us away
from whatever we fancy the abyss to be..

amazon.com/author/stephenrose