Jon S, John S, list,

Jon S wrote in reflecting on John S conclusion in a discussion of the
language and logic used to discuss "existence" and "reality":

Jon: By Peirce's definitions--at least, the ones that he carefully employed
late in his life--the verb "exist" may only be used to talk about actual
things that "react with the other like things in the environment" (CP
6.495).

 Exactly so. Existence is reactive (act/react), dual, 2ns, hic et nunc,
once for all, singular, determinate, etc. One sees this in such late
definitions as this which contrast existence and reality:

1901 | Individual | CP 3.613

…whatever exists is individual, since existence (not reality) and
individuality are essentially the same thing…

and

1902 | Minute Logic: Chapter IV. Ethics (Logic IV) | CP 6.349

Existence […] is a special mode of reality, which, whatever other
characteristics it possesses, has that of being absolutely determinate.

And so, as you remarked:

 Jon: This is precisely why he famously argued for the *Reality *of God,
rather than the *existence *of God.  Some of the difficulty here is likely
due to the fact that there is no verb form of "reality," which could then
be used to talk about both *actual *things and *real *relations.  The
latter indeed include generals and possibilities--even those that are
*real *despite never becoming *actual *(i.e., instantiated), and therefore
do not *exist.*

Besides the difficulty you commented on, viz., "that there is no verb form
of 'reality'," another problem is that according to Peirce existence is not
"properly" a term of logic, but of metaphysics.

1905 [c.] | The Basis of Pragmaticism | MS [R] 280:36-7

…the term *existence* is properly a term, not of logic, but of metaphysics;
and metaphysically understood, an object *exists*, if and only if, it
reacts with every other existing object of the same universe. But in the
definition of a logical proper name, *exist* is used in its logical sense,
and means merely to be a singular of a logical universe, or universe of
discourse.

This seems to me somewhat different from John S's logical analysis since,
in the quotation above, Peirce says that *exist* "used in its logical
sense. . . means merely to be a singular of a. . . universe of discourse."
This makes good sense to me.

As metaphysics has been introduced in the quotation directly above, I'd
also like to say a few words about it in considering, or better,
emphasizing *reality* (all the following quotations are from EP2, so
represent Peirce's late thinking on this topic).

"Metaphysics is the science of Reality. Reality consists in regularity.
Real regularity is active law. Active law is efficient reasonableness, or
in other words is truly reasonable reasonableness. Reasonable
reasonableness is Thirdness as Thirdness."

But "active laws" are, Peirce argues, symbols, which he goes on to say are
"the only things in the universe that have importance." (One recalls that
for Peirce *man* is a symbol, the *universe* itself is a symbol, the Greek
language is a symbol, the works of Shakespeare are a symbol, etc.) The
knowledge of such laws allow us to make predictions of what may happen* in
futuro*.

" Nobody can doubt that we know laws upon which we can base predictions to
which actual events still in the womb of the future will conform to a
marked extent, if not perfectly. To deny reality to such laws is to quibble
about words. Many philosophers say they are "mere symbols." Take away the
word mere, and this is true. They are symbols; and symbols being the only
things in the universe that have any importance, the word "mere" is a great
impertinence."

But while metaphysics may be a matter of 3ns, *reality*, in Peirce's view,
involves all three categories, and notably in the quotation below, 2ns,
compulsion, a matter of most assuredly of *hic et nunc*. But compulsion,
2ns, while existentially experienced, is not sufficient for a full
description of reality which requires regularity (habit).

"[R]eality is compulsive. But the compulsiveness is absolutely hic et nunc.
It is for an instant and it is gone. Let it be no more and it is absolutely
nothing. The [existential aspect of] reality only exists as an element of
the regularity. And the regularity is the symbol. Rea[lity, therefore, can
only be regarded as the limit of the endless series of symbols."

Or stated somewhat differently:

" Generality is, indeed, an indispensable ingredient of reality; for mere
individual existence or actuality without any regularity whatever is a
nullity. Chaos is pure nothing."

As for the reality of *possibles*, Peirce holds that  ". . . it is the
reality of some possibilities that pragmaticism is most concerned to insist
upon." Here one can begin to see how the last branch of logic rather melds
into metaphysical inquiries.

As Peirce delves further into the character of metaphysics, as important as
he sees it to be as the last of the philosophic (cenoscopic) sciences, it
is, in his view, in horrible shape.

"Metaphysics is the proper designation for the third and completing
department of cenoscopy, . .  Its business is to study the most general
features of reality and real objects. But in its present condition it is,
even more than the other branches of cenoscopy, a puny, rickety, and
scrofulous science. It is only too plain that those who pretend to
cultivate it carry not the hearts of true men of science within their
breast."

Peirce suggests that these metaphysicians, rather than being scientists,
have been for the most part "theologians."

So, while in the Lowell threads Gary F is posting we are principally
concerned with logic. one ought not forget that the third and final branch
of logic, namely, methodeutic (or theoretic rhetoric, which involves a
theory of inquiry which includes pragmatism as a method) is immediately
followed in Peirce's Classification of the Sciences by metaphysics, the
science concerned with Reality, and methodeutic's findings are meant to
facilitate inquiry into this final philosophical science, "the third and
completing department of cenoscopy [which] business is to study the most
general features of reality and real objects."

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*