Franklin, Gary f, list:

"How do you know that *A* is *A*?"

"Because that is involved in what I mean by 'is'."

"How do you know it is involved?"

"Because, torture my imagination as I will, I cannot think of anything that
I could call *A* and not judge that *A* is *A*."

"Perhaps that is because you have not hit on the right kind of a subject to
substitute for A."

"Possibly. But as long as I cannot help thinking that that is what I mean
by 'is', it is nonsense to question it."

Best,
Jerry R

PS.  Franklin, very cool gmail handle...