Continuing from Lowell 2.5:

https://fromthepage.com/jeffdown1/c-s-peirce-manuscripts/ms-455-456-1903-low
ell-lecture-ii/display/13608

In order to get an insight into how the scroll represents the conditional
proposition de inesse, we must make a little experimental research.

Thus far, we have no means of expressing an absurdity. Let us invent a sign
which shall assert that everything is true. Nothing could be more illogical
than that statement, inasmuch as it would render logic false as well as
needless. Were every graph asserted to be true, there would be nothing that
could be added to that assertion. Accordingly, our expression for it may
very appropriately consist in completely filling up the area on which it is
asserted. Such filling up of an area, may be termed a blot.

Take the conditional proposition de inesse, "If it rains then everything is
true[":]

That amounts to denying that it rains. But there is no need of making the
inner cut so large. Let us write

or even

This suggests that the relation which the cut asserts between the universe
of discourse and what is scribed within it is simply that what is scribed
within is false of the universe of discourse.

Then we may interpret

as meaning "It is false that it rains and that a pear is not ripe." But we
have already seen that this is precisely the whole meaning of the
conditional de inesse; namely that it is false that the antecedent is true
while the consequent is false. Thus, that which the cut asserts is precisely
that that which is on its bottom is not, as a whole, true.

 <http://gnusystems.ca/Lowells.htm> http://gnusystems.ca/Lowells.htm }{
Peirce's Lowell Lectures of 1903