Gary F, John S, List,

The EGs are being developed as a mathematical system of logic. Peirce conceives
of the framework within which the system is being developed as a topological
system. As such, I'm working on the assumption that it will be helpful to think
of the EG as a system of mathematical logic that draws on ideas from
topology--e.g., Euler's work on logic diagrams, Euler's work on graph theory,
Euler's formula for the topological characteristic of a figure and a surface
and Listing's later development of this formula--as so many sources that Peirce
has available at his fingertips.

Setting cosmological matters to the side, I do think that it will be helpful to
consider these topological ideas as we try to understand Peirce's motivations
and inspirations as he makes decisions about how to set up the diagrammatic
relations that are important for using and understanding the EG as a formal
system. Mathematical inquiry often is driven by some real problem that could
not be solved by the other sciences. As such, the mathematician is called in to
help, and the first step is to build a simplified and idealized system that can
be used to address the most important parts of the problems at hand. If many of
the problems that are motivating these inquiries are coming from the side of
the normative sciences--i.e., theory of semiotics including the critical
logic--then I believe it is natural to suppose that it is a set of perceived
shortcomings in the algebraic systems of logic that were developed in the
latter part of the 19th century--including his own algebraic systems--that are
motivating and inspiring the development of this topological system of logic.
Making the comparison between the two will be helpful precisely because it will
clarify where the EGs have analytical advantages over the algebraic systems.

For the purposes of analyzing the elemental steps in both common and in more
specialized forms of reasoning, the algebraic systems are falling short.
Instead of spending more time trying to improve those systems, he is moving to
a more diagrammatic approach that takes recent diagrammatic work in topology as
a starting point. Having said that, I admit it is an open question as to how
much we can learn from looking at topological figures and conceptions as we try
to understand what Peirce is doing in the development of the EG. It is possible
that we may go too far and import ideas that are out of place. The only way to
figure out where it will be helpful to draw on these topological ideas and
where it won't is to push the boundaries, so to speak.

--Jeff

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor