Jon A.S.,

Thanks very much for posting here some of the Peirce passages which demonstrate
that, as you put it, “"categories" and "elements" were effectively
interchangeable for Peirce, precisely at the time of the Lowell Lectures” (and,
I would add, afterwards, depending on Peirce’s context and audience).

The specifically logical usage of the term “categories” was virtually inherited
by Peirce from Aristotle, Kant, and Hegel, and logicians and metaphysicians
could be expected to be familiar with this terminology, so it was convenient in
that sense for Peirce to use it in his phenomenology/phaneroscopy. But it was
also misleading, because Peirce’s “categories” were quite different from those
of his predecessors, and I think that after 1902 especially, he increasingly
used the term “elements” because it was less familiar in this context, and
better suited to his phenomenology, i.e. to his way of arriving at the three
conceptions as “indecomposable elements.” But he continued to use both; in
Lowell 3, for instance, which is mostly about Firstness/Secondness/Thirdness,
he referred to them 16 times as “categories” and 35 times as “elements”,
beginning with this:

“Phenomenology is the science which describes the different kinds of elements
that are always present in the Phenomenon, meaning by the Phenomenon whatever
is before the mind in any kind of thought, fancy, or cognition of any kind.
Everything that you can possibly think involves three kinds of elements.”

You are right that the phrase “kinds of elements” is ambiguous in a way, and
when he refers to (for instance) Thirdness as an “element”, we could regard
that as a mere abbreviation for “kind of element.” But he does this so often
that “element” becomes in these texts interchangeable with “category” in their
technical senses, as you said. Anyway, we should get back to this discussion
when we have Lowell 3 in front of us.

Gary f.